Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Fellowship
CSIRO – Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australia offers postdoctoral fellowship position for candidates having PhD degree in relevant discipline area, such as organic chemistry or polymer chemistry.
About- We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Research/Job area– Organic chemistry or polymer chemistry or relevant discipline area
Location- CSIRO – Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australia
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as organic chemistry or polymer chemistry. Please note:To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- A sound working knowledge and hands-on familiarity with the design and implementation of the techniques of organic and polymer synthesis.
- Experience with and understanding of the techniques of analytical chemistry associated with the characterization of polymers and small organic molecules and their use in problem solving. These techniques could include spectroscopic (NMR, ESR, UV, IR, mass) and chromatographic (HPLC, GPC) methods.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Job/Position Description- Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for up to three years and will work closely with a leading Research Scientist or Engineer in their respective field. They carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. They present the findings in appropriate publications and at conferences.
CSIRO Manufacturing is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to undertake experimental work on the design and synthesis of polymers. The project will appeal to candidates with a multi-disciplinary background, and there is scope for commercial engagement for those applications that are proven to be industrially useful. The Postdoctoral Fellow will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team comprised of synthetic chemists, polymer chemists and engineers to help with these tasks.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO, under the direction of senior research scientists that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Undertaking experimental work on the design and synthesis of well-defined (composition and molar mass dispersity) side or main chain liquid crystalline polymers.
- Undertake structure-properties study on the application of side or main chain liquid crystalline polymers in optical, optoelectronic or electrical devices. This will involve device preparation and testing.
- Undertaking regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Producing high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Salary: $80k to $91k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years
How to Apply- Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.