International Climate Fellowship – Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Designation/Position- International Climate Fellowship
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany India invites application for International Climate Fellowship from eligible and interested candidates
About- With the International Climate Protection Fellowships, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables prospective leaders in academia and industry to implement a research-based proposal in the field of climate protection or climate-related resource conservation during a one-year stay in Germany. Up to 20 International Climate Protection Fellowships are granted annually, funded under the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety’s (BMU) International Climate Initiative.
Research/Job Area- Scientific, engineering-based, legal, economic, health-related or social aspects of climate change
As future decision-makers and multipliers, you aim to take on the global challenge of climate change through international, cross-border cooperation. We invite you to apply for an International Climate Protection Fellowship if you
- explore questions in the natural or engineering sciences or address legal, economic, health-related, or societal aspects of climate change
- are a citizen of a non-European developing or transition country (see list of countries, PDF) and have been predominantly living and working there
- completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than 12 years ago (cut-off date: 1 March of the year of application)
- have initial experience in a leadership role and corresponding leadership skills
- are a prospective leader with extensive professional experience (at least 48 months at the time of applying)
- are a postdoctoral researcher with a successfully completed doctorate in climate protection or climate-related resource conservation and have been published in academic journals and by academic publishers peer-reviewed to international standards
- have very good knowledge of English and/or German
Research group award up to 15 International Climate Protection Fellowships to prospective leaders and up to five to postdoctoral researchers each year. The fellowships are funded through the International Climate Initiative of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
The fellowship facilitates the mutual exchange of knowledge, methods and techniques with hosts in Germany; this also extends to questions of practical applicability in your country of origin.
- a monthly fellowship of €2,170, €2,470 or €2,670 in the programme line for prospective leaders – depending on your training and career level; a monthly fellowship of €2,670 in the programme line for postdoctoral researchers
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support for example for accompanying family members, for travel expenses or for a German language course
- a three-week introductory event where you can connect with other climate protection fellows, visit businesses and research institutions, and attend cultural events in Germany
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular, to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Host institutes receive a monthly allowance for research costs of 800 euros for projects in the natural and engineering sciences or 500 euros for projects in the humanities and social sciences.
How to Apply-
Before applying, you should agree the details of your independently developed research-based project with your chosen academic host.
Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
- research-based project: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Bear in mind that the following criteria are important for selection: a convincing choice of methods; clear focus and feasibility; relevance to the fields of climate protection or climate-relevant resource conservation; feasibility of conducting the project at the chosen host institution; practicability of the communication strategy
- an extensive statement including confirmation of support from your host in Germany
- two letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal, and/or academic background
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. We will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents. If you have any doubts or questions, please contact us by e-mail (info[at]avh.de) before submitting your application.
Last Date for Apply– 1 March 2021