Designation/Position- E4D Doctoral Scholarships
ETH Zurich, Europe invites application for E4D Doctoral Scholarships (Fully Funded) for eligible and interested candidates
About- The goal of the Engineering for Development (E4D) Programme or E4D Doctoral Scholarships is to promote research and education for the benefit of underprivileged people in low-income countries. The E4D Programme is generously funded through the Sawiris Foundation for Social Development and the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation. The current programme phase runs from 2019 to 2023.
Study level- Doctoral Programme
Location- ETH Zurich, Europe
1. The candidate
•The general entrance requirements for doctoral studies at the ETH Zurich1 and the respective department must be fulfilled.
• Experience in the selected research area is required.
• Preference will be given to citizens of Least Developed Countries and Low-Income Countries according to the OECD DAC-2021 list classification2 (soft factor).
2. The supervisor
• The doctoral supervisor must be an ETH professor and must have a guaranteed ETH position for the entire duration of the proposed project.
• It is expected that the ETH Zurich professor supports the candidate in elaborating the full proposal, if the concept note should be selected, and to supervise the candidate if the full proposal is selected for funding.
• The supervisor confirms their commitment to the project by a letter of support, indicating their contribution to the project in cash or kind.
3. The research project
• The research topic is within the thematic scope of ETH Zurich.
• The proposal is a new doctoral project, not complementary funding to on-going research.
• Subject of the proposed research is the development of methods, technologies, tools or
products, which generate a direct impact for underprivileged people in low-income countries.
• The ecological, socio-economic, and cultural context is taken into account.
• The expected impact of the research is high for the intended target group
The E4D doctoral scholarship amounts CHF 175’000 for a period of three years. The scholarship
period can be extended on a no-cost extension. Out of the scholarship grant, CHF 166’800 is
reserved to cover the salary of the E4D Fellow for three years (level of employment: 100%, incl.
social security), CHF 8’200 for material costs and/or travels. Employment after the granted time
period must be financed by other sources.
The doctoral salary must be on the level of the ETH standard doctoral salary. Adjustments of the
salary scale might be made in adherence to the general ETH Domain remuneration policy as
defined by the ETH Board. Any extra costs associated with salary scale increases effected during
the funding period must be borne by the host professorship.
How to Apply-
The application procedure consists of two steps.
The candidate submits the Concept Note Application Form 2021 to the E4D programme office
by e-mail to email@example.com. Only concept notes fulfilling all indicated requirements will be taken
into consideration and will be evaluated by the ETH4D Committee for Exchanges with regard to
their suitability for the second step.
The deadline for submitting concept notes is 30 April 2021 in one single pdf document.
The concept note application must include:
• Completed Concept Note Application Form 2021 (DOCX, 37 KB)
• CV of the candidate
• Excellent MSc degree from a recognized university and grade transcripts
• Support letter of the supervising professor at ETH Zurich
• 2 reference letters from your field of research
• Relevant own publications or documentation of relevant activities relating to the project
• List of 5 independent reviewers
Last Date for Apply– 30 April 2021