Designation/Position- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships
USIEF invites application for Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are designed for Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
Agricultural Sciences; Anthropology; Bioengineering; Computer Science (including, but not limited to, cybersecurity, digital economy, quantum computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and big data analytics); Economics; Education Policy and Planning; Energy Studies; History; International Law; International Security and Strategic Studies; Materials Science (with emphasis on environmental applications); Mathematical Sciences; Neurosciences; Performing Arts; Physical Sciences; Public Health; Public Policy; Sociology; Urban and Regional Planning (with emphasis on smart cities and waste management); Visual Arts; and Women’s and Gender Studies.
- The applicant will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for the grant.
- USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions.
- If the applicant has secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of the online application.
In addition to the General Prerequisites
- Applicant should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. Applicant should be registered for Ph.D. at an Indian institution by August 1, 2017. In the online application form, one of the recommendation letters should be from the Ph.D. supervisor that comments on applicant’s research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicates the Ph.D. registration date and topic;
- This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations/thesis. Therefore, the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after the Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2020 is the grant end date, the applicant cannot submit the thesis before August 2020. Please indicate the Ph.D. registration date and the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the Applicant Annexure. The applicant can download the Applicant Annexure from the USIEF website;
- If the applicant is employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding the employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. The applicant can download the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form from the USIEF website, and
- The applicant should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published/presented or extracts from the Masters’/M.Phil. Thesis in the online application form.
Note-These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered.
The fellowships provide J-1 visa support, a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
How to Apply-
- Applications must be submitted online at: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2022
- Please carefully review the FNDR Applicant Instructions before starting your online application.
- Please refer to FNDR Applicant Checklist before submitting the application.
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application:
FNDR Applicant Annexure
FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form
Last Date for Apply– 15 July 2021, 23:59:59 hrs (IST)
Timeline and Placement Process
|July 15, 2021||Application due date for 2022-2023 awards|
|Early August 2021||Field-specific experts review applications to short-list candidates|
|Early September 2021||USIEF informs the applicants about the review outcome|
|Late September 2021||National interviews of short-listed candidates in Delhi|
|End September 2021||USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees. Nominees take TOEFL.|
|November 2021||USIEF forwards applications of recommended candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) approval and placement|
|March/April 2022||USIEF notifies finalists|
|August/September 2022||Program begins|