Newton International Fellowship Scheme 2024 by Royal Society, UK
Designation/Position- Newton International Fellowship Scheme
Royal Society, UK invites applications for Newton International Fellowship Scheme from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Newton International Fellowship programme provides support for outstanding early career researchers to make a first step towards developing an independent research career through gaining experience across international borders. The fellowships will enable researchers to access expertise, gain new perspectives and build long-lasting collaborative relationships. The fellowship provides three years funding to attract international early career researchers to establish and conduct their research in a UK host organisation. Newton International Fellowships are made available by The Royal Society and British Academy.
- 🌍 Eligibility Criteria:
- Must have a Ph.D. or will obtain one by the funding start date
- Limited to seven years of active full-time postdoctoral experience
- Must be working outside the UK, without UK citizenship
- Competency in oral and written English
- 🗓️ Application Deadline:
- The fellowship is open for applications until March 13, 3 pm UK time.
- 📝 Application Process:
- Applications for natural and physical sciences submitted through Flexi-Grant®
- Oversight by the Newton International Fellowships Panels
- 💰 Value and Tenure:
- Up to £280,000 over two years for successful applicants in 2024
- Covers basic salary, research expenses, relocation, visa costs, estate costs, and indirect costs
- Flexible award for full-time or part-time basis, with provisions for health, caring responsibilities, and family support
- Alumni funding may be available post-fellowship for networking activities with UK-based researchers
- 🤝 Scheme Details:
- Jointly run by the British Academy and the Royal Society
- Research focused on natural sciences within the Royal Society’s remit
- Humanities and social science applications directed to the British Academy
- Additional fellowships available through ISPF Fund and K C Wong Education Foundation partnerships
- 🔄 Changes in 2024:
- Fellowships awarded in 2024 are two years in duration
- Maximum award value increased to £280,000 over two years
- 🌐 International Collaboration:
- Welcomes applications from all countries
- Special funding for applicants from Switzerland and China through specific partnerships
- KC Wong International Fellowships selected from the same pool as Newton Fellowships
- 🌈 Diversity and Inclusion:
- Encourages applications from diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Regular review of policies to embed EDI principles in the grant-making process
- Particular welcome to women, disabled, and ethnic minority candidates
- 🔄 Support for Applicants with Disabilities:
- The Royal Society provides adjustments for scientists with disabilities
- Adjustments may include deadline extensions and additional support for the application process
- Contact the Grants team for more information.
Research/Job Area- Natural sciences, biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics (other area also)
Unlock your research potential with the Newton International Fellowships for non-UK scientists at an early stage of their research career. This fellowship offers a unique opportunity to conduct research in the UK, fostering collaboration and advancing scientific knowledge. The scheme, jointly run by the British Academy and the Royal Society, welcomes applicants worldwide.
Designation: Newton International Fellow
Research Area: Natural Sciences, including biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, and physics.
Location: United Kingdom
- Hold a PhD or will have a PhD by the time funding starts.
- Have no more than seven years of active full-time postdoctoral experience (excluding career breaks).
- Working outside the UK.
- Not hold UK citizenship.
- Competent in oral and written English.
Value and Tenure:
- Up to £280,000 over two years.
- Covers basic salary, research expenses, relocation and visa costs, estate costs, and indirect costs.
- Fellowship can be held on a full-time or part-time basis, with flexibility for health reasons and caring responsibilities.
- Alumni funding available for networking activities after completion.
- Submit applications through the Royal Society’s grants management system Flexi-Grant®.
- Application deadline: Wednesday, 13 March 2024.
Support for Diversity: The Royal Society encourages applications from diverse backgrounds to maximize innovation in science. Support is provided for women, disabled, and ethnic minority candidates. Reasonable adjustments are available for disabled applicants, including deadline extensions and additional support.
How to Apply: For detailed information and application submission, visit Flexi-Grant®. For scheme-related inquiries, contact the Grants team at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 20 7451 2666.