Open PhD Positions (m/f/d): The Institute of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacognosy at the University of Innsbruck, Austria, is offering two exciting PhD positions in Microbial Natural Products Research. These positions are set to begin in October 2023 and offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the project “ENDRUST – Role of endophytes in rust defense in Norway spruce.” The application deadline is 30th September 2023.
- Institute: Institute of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Innsbruck, Austria
- Project Title: ENDRUST – Role of endophytes in rust defense in Norway spruce
- Start Date: October 2023
- Deadline: 30th September 2023
- Funding: FWF (Austrian Science Fund)
- Collaboration: Departments of Pharmacognosy, Microbiology, and Botany at the University of Innsbruck
Study Area: This research project focuses on the role of fungal endophyte communities in inducing rust resistance in Picea abies trees in Tyrol province, Austria. It addresses the significant issue of phytopathogens and stress factors impacting agriculture and forestry.
Open PhD Positions (m/f/d) in Microbial Natural Products Research
The successful candidates will play a pivotal role in isolating and analyzing fungal endophytes from rust-susceptible and resistant trees. Their responsibilities will include LC-MS/MS-based untargeted metabolomics analysis, mass spectrometry-guided isolation of metabolites, and the elucidation of antifungal metabolite structures. Additionally, they will investigate the potential of selected strains to produce novel natural products using silent gene activation techniques. Collaboration with internal partners at the University of Innsbruck for phylogenetic and microbiological studies is expected. The candidates will also conduct in vivo studies to assess the efficacy of isolated metabolites. Moreover, they will manage the project, publish research findings, and participate in national or international conferences.
Eligibility: PhD candidate 1:
- Master’s degree in Pharmacy, Chemistry, or a related field.
- Strong background in natural products isolation and purification, including structure elucidation by 1&2D NMR, HRMS, ECD, and computational methods.
- Experience with non-targeted metabolomics approaches and dereplication of natural products by LC-MS/MS (preferably using molecular networking).
- Experience in performing bioassays is a plus.
PhD candidate 2:
- Master’s degree in Microbiology, fungal biology, or related fields.
- Proficiency in sterile working techniques, molecular techniques, phylogenetic analysis, bioassays, and basic bioinformatic analysis.
- Experience in fungal isolation, cultivation, identification, activation of silent genes (OSMAC approach), etc.
- Familiarity with fungal natural product isolation and related techniques.
- Experience in the area of plant pathogens and related bioassays is a plus.
Duration and Salary: These positions are for a maximum period of three and a half years (initial contract 9 months), with salaries based on FWF personal costs and employment hours (60-75%). For more information, visit www.fwf.ac.at.
Required Documents: Please include the following documents in your application, preferably all in one PDF file:
- Motivation letter
- CV, including a publication list
- Diploma and transcript
- Diploma and transcript (or equivalent degree)
- Master or diploma thesis abstract (1-2 pages)
How to Apply: Please send your application, including the above-mentioned documents and any further questions, to the project PI, Mostafa.firstname.lastname@example.org, by 30th September 2023.
Last Date: 30th September 2023
Don’t miss this opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge research in microbial natural products and make a meaningful impact in the field of pharmacognosy. Apply now!