Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship Scheme for PhD students
Designation/Position- Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship (SERB-OVDF)
Purdue University, US invites application for Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship from eligible and interested candidates
About- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a Statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India has launched SERB Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship (SERB-OVDF) Scheme for creating a talented pool of internationally active and trained manpower.
Research/Job area– Science and Technology
Applications are invited from Ph.D. students in two modes-
- Indian Ph.D. supervisors who had made research collaboration with foreign counterparts in their individual capacity .
- Indian/Overseas Institutions who had signed an Agreement / MoU with SERB for student mobility.
Applications will be sought twice a year. The selection would be made among students who obtained an offer letter from overseas institution to carry out research in chosen areas of interest to India. The applicants belonging to mode (i) above should apply directly to SERB through www.serbonline.in . In case of mode (ii) the application / recommendation should reach SERB through the Institute / University concerned. Students intend to undertake research visit to the following Universities to whom SERB had signed MoU should apply directly to the University:
Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
Contact Person: Mrs. Heidi Arola (firstname.lastname@example.org), Managing Director for Global Partnerships.
More Details available at: http://www.purdue.edu/india/
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Contact Person: Mr. Dan Fredrick (email@example.com), Manager, Sponsored Student Program
More Details available at: https://www.ualberta.ca/graduate-studies/prospective-students/apply-for-admission/visiting-exchange-applications
- The scheme is open to Indian nationals only.
- The applicant should have registered for full-time Ph.D. Degree in any of the recognized Institutions / Universities in India in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (including Medicine, Pharma, Agriculture and related S&T areas) disciplines.
- Part-time and sponsored students are not considered under the Program. Also students who have submitted their thesis for award of the Degree of Ph.D. are not eligible to apply.
- The application for consideration under the Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship Program (OVDF) can be submitted only when the call for application is made.
- The duration of the research training is up-to a period of twelve months. In exceptional circumstances, the fellowship may be extended for six more months’ subject to performance evaluation.
- For scientists/researchers in regular employment, rules governing payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF and pension etc. of the organization/ institution/ university to which the fellow belongs would continue to be applicable. No liability on any of these accounts will be borne by SERB.
- The selected fellows while taking up the SERB overseas fellowship should not draw their regular research fellowship in India.
- The candidates selected for the award of the fellowship should commence their research in the overseas institution within three months from the date of the offer letter, and if not, the offer will be automatically stands withdrawn and no correspondence will be entertained thereafter.
- The exchange visit of the supervisors should be during the tenure of the Ph.D. work of the applicant. Both the supervisors should ensure a residency period of at least two weeks and not exceeding 30 days in their respective foreign institutes.
- The Indian Institution should ensure the availability of necessary facilities including scientific equipment, infrastructure, manpower, etc. for facilitating the visit of overseas scientist for undertaking the collaborative research. The institution should also extend all necessary administrative support to the proposed work.
- The OVDF applicant should contact the above Universities for undertaking this fellowship.
Applications are invited from Ph.D. students to work with Overseas Institutions who had signed an Agreement / MoU with SERB for student mobility.
Applications will be sought annually. The selection would be made among students who obtained an offer letter from an overseas institutions to carry out research in chosen areas of interest to India. The applicants who intend to undertake a research visit to the following Universities to whom SERB had signed MoU should apply directly to the University:
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
Contact Person: Ms. Heidi Arola (harola[at]purdue[dot]edu), Managing Director for Global Partnerships. More Details available at: http://www.purdue.edu/india/
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Contact Person: Ms. Nicole Dewart (uaissp[at]ualberta[dot]ca), Senior Coordinator, Sponsored Student Program
More Details available at: https://www.ualberta.ca/international/international-relations/asia/student-mobility/serb/serb-students
Application for support to undertake research training during the doctoral research in Overseas Universities on a competitive mode is sought from eligible researchers.
- To build national capacity in frontier areas of Science and Engineering, which are of interest to India by providing research training to PhD students admitted in the Indian institutions in overseas universities / institutions of repute.
- To provide opportunity to performing Indian research students to gain exposure and access to top class research facilities in academia and labs in specific Overseas Universities.
- To create opportunities to build long-term R&D linkages and collaborations with accomplished scientists and technologists from around the world.
- To tap the expertise gained by these young scientists to strengthen/initiate national programmes in their domain knowledge.
Fellowship and Other Component:-
The selected fellows will be paid a monthly fellowship amount equivalent to US $ 2000, one-time Contingency / Preparatory allowances of Rs. 60,000/- to cover visa fee, airport transfer charges, medical insurance etc. The selected fellows will also be provided shortest route economy class air fare from their place of work in India to the place of the host institute and back. Students should make their own arrangement for accommodation etc.
One visit, each by the Indian supervisor to the Overseas Institution where the student is working and overseas faculty to the host Indian Institution of the student during the tenure of the fellowship is also admissible under the Scheme. The following provisions are made for them to undertake research visits:
Contingencies and related travel cost: Allowance of US $ 250 per visit is provided to both Indian Supervisor and Overseas host to cover the expenditure incurred towards visa fees, travel / medical insurance, airport transfers and other contingencies
How to Apply-
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicants should first register into the online website.
- After log-in, applicants are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address etc.
- Details including Project Title (max 500 characters), Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters) should be provided online at the time of submission of the application.
- Work Methodology and Research plan has to be uploaded in single PDF file not more than 4 pages (max 10 MB).
Documents required –
- Copy of the Ph.D. registration certificate
- Bio-data of the Indian Supervisor
( Including Academic & Research Qualifications, Publications list , Patent list, Details of research projects being implemented/ completed/ submitted, if any)
- Bio-data of Overseas Host Scientist
(Including Academic & Research Qualifications, Publications list , Patent list, Details of research projects being implemented/ completed/ submitted, if any)
- Certificate from the applicant Download Template
- Endorsement letter from the head of the Indian institution Download Template
- Letter of acceptance of research plan by the Host Scientist and Indian Supervisor
- Letter of acceptance from Overseas Host Institution
- Recommendation letter from the Indian supervisor along with undertaking Download Template