Ph.D. and Postdoc Positions : Multiple Ph.D. and postdoc positions are available in the field of functional nanostructured materials design through strain engineering. These positions are part of the STRAINSWITCH project, funded by the European Research Council (ERC), and will be based at the Center for Molecular Modeling (CMM) at Ghent University, Belgium.
Designation: Ph.D. and Postdoctoral Researchers
Research Area: Strain Engineering for Functional Nanostructured Materials
Location: Ghent University, Belgium
Eligibility/Qualification: We especially welcome candidates with a strong track record who are eligible to apply for prestigious Ph.D. fellowships at national funding agencies or wish to prepare for a European fellowship. Qualifications for Ph.D. and postdoc positions may vary, but a background in materials science, computational chemistry, physics, or related fields is preferred.
Ph.D. and Postdoc Positions in Functional Nanostructured Materials Design
The research in the STRAINSWITCH project aims to revolutionize polymorphic material design through the concept of strain engineering. It focuses on understanding how external stimuli, such as stress, temperature, or adsorption, can induce phase transitions and control functional properties in nanostructured materials. The project will explore the impact of strain, both internal and external, on material behavior and develop predictive models for polymorphism.
The research will initially encompass four distinct areas, and candidates are sought for each area:
- Developing the strain engineering workflow and establishing strain fingerprints for bulk disorder.
- Developing state-of-the-art interatomic potentials, including machine learning potentials and coarse-grained force fields, to model long-range and interfacial disorder.
- Developing an open-source molecular dynamics algorithm to mimic the influence of general tensorial stress on polymorphic materials.
- Developing an in silico nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy toolbox to model amorphous structures.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to contact Professor Sven M. J. Rogge at Sven.Rogge@UGent.be for informal inquiries or more information about the positions. To apply formally, please submit the following documents to the provided email address:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter detailing your research interests and qualifications.
- Contact information for references if available.
Last Date for Apply: Until position filled
For more information about the STRAINSWITCH project and the research topics within it, please visit the CMM website and explore the ERC StG project details.