PhD Student at University of Applied Sciences: Hochschule Bremen – City University of Applied Sciences is a dynamic and innovative institution dedicated to academic excellence. We offer diverse programs and research opportunities in various fields. Join our Biological Structures and Biomimetics research group led by Prof. Dr. Dirks at the Biomimetics-Innovation-Centre. We are looking for a motivated PhD student to delve into the “Fatigue and Repair of Insect Cuticle.” This project offers a cross-disciplinary approach involving biology, materials sciences, and mechanical engineering to explore the response of insect exoskeletons to cyclic loading. This exciting opportunity is suitable for part-time work, funded by the DFG.
Designation: PhD Student
Research Area: Fatigue and Repair of Insect Cuticle
Location: Biomimetics-Innovation-Centre, Hochschule Bremen – City University of Applied Sciences, Bremen, Germany
|Position||65% of full working hours per week (25.48 hours)|
|Duration||Limited to 36 months, starting at earliest convenience|
|Start Date||Part-time position|
- M.Sc. (completed or nearing completion) in organismal zoology, biomimetics, biomechanics, materials sciences, or related discipline.
- Proficiency in standard research software (office, statistical software, Matlab, R, Python).
- Strong English language skills, at least level B2 in German.
- Willingness to work in an interdisciplinary team.
PhD Student – Fatigue and Repair of Insect Cuticle
As a PhD student in this project, you will:
- Conduct, document, and evaluate scientific experiments.
- Write scientific publications.
- Co-supervise theses and student assistants.
- Set up, maintain, and repair scientific equipment.
- Support project administration (orders, etc.).
What We Offer:
- Work on a DFG-funded fundamental research project.
- Interesting and varied job in an international environment.
- Open and inclusive working atmosphere.
- Flexible working hours at a family-friendly university.
- Company pension scheme (VBL).
- Attractive workstations with good transport connections.
- Various dining options in the student union canteen.
- Opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Subsidized job ticket for public transport.
- Subsidized company fitness in all EGYM Wellpass-studios.
- Submit your application by September 1, 2023, via career.hs-bremen.de.
- Application must include: Cover letter, one-page motivation letter for pursuing a PhD in insect biomechanics, CV with two references.
- Candidates with recognized disabilities and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Contact Information: For inquiries, contact Prof. Dr. Jan-Henning Dirks at jan-henning.dirks(at)hs-bremen.de.
Address: University of Applied Sciences Bremen, Neustadtswall 30, 28199 Bremen, Germany