Postdoc in Arctic Microbiology: The Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Gothenburg is seeking a Postdoc to work within two nationally funded projects that focus on understanding methane dynamics in the Arctic region. The successful candidate will investigate the impact of temperature, precipitation, and vegetation changes on methane consumption rates and microbial communities at several Arctic sites. Fieldwork at remote locations and international collaboration is required.
Research Area: Arctic Microbiology
Location: University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Completed a doctoral degree or foreign degree equivalent to a doctoral degree at the start of contract
- Interest in Arctic methane issues with documented skills in microbial process including DNA/RNA extraction, sample preparation, sequencing and metagenomic analysis
- Familiar with chamber-based flux measurements, methane dynamic processes, and experience in Arctic field conditions
- PhD degree in microbiology, ecology, biogeochemistry, or another relevant field
- Hard-driven, independent person with great accuracy and ability for teamwork
- Capable of handling longer periods of fieldwork in remote areas
Job Description: The Postdoc will work within two nationally funded projects: Disentangling the hidden methane consumption in a warmer Arctic (VR), and Will increased precipitation reduce methane consumption in a future Arctic (FORMAS)? The Postdoc will investigate the impact of temperature, precipitation, and vegetation changes on methane consumption rates as well as the microbial communities at several Arctic sites, using the network of the International Tundra Experiment (ITEX). The project includes methane measurements, soil/vegetation analysis, microbial extractions, sequencing, and community analysis. Fieldwork at several remote Arctic locations is scheduled as well as international collaboration leading to exchange stays abroad. The Postdoc is expected to contribute to all steps in the scientific process.
Employment: The position is full-time and three years, starting in the spring of 2023.
How to Apply:
- Register an account in the University’s recruitment system
- Submit your application via the University’s recruitment portal by clicking on the “Apply” button
- Include a one-page description of why you are interested in and suitable for this position, a 4-page CV including publication list, highlighting relevant publication with a short motivation of what you have contributed with. A copy of doctoral degree certificate, or in case of not yet finished doctoral degree, documentation that clarifies when the doctor degree is expected to be obtained. Copies of other diplomas, List of completed academic courses and grades, Copy of PhD-thesis or closed to finished PhD thesis, Names and contact information of three reference persons (including PhD supervisor).
- Application should be submitted by: 2023-02-15
Contact Information: Dr. Mats Björkman, 0730-581145, firstname.lastname@example.org
Union: Trade union representatives at the University of Gothenburg can be found here: https://www.gu.se/om-universitetet/jobba-hos-oss/hjalp-for-sokande
The University works actively to achieve a working environment with equal conditions, and values the qualities that diversity brings to its operations. Salaries are set individually at the University.