Postdoctoral Researcher – Physics and Astronomy: The University of Kansas, Department of Physics and Astronomy, invites applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher position in observational astronomy within the group of Professor Allison Kirkpatrick. The position involves working on JWST/MIRI observations, contributing to data reduction, producing science-ready images, and mentoring undergraduate students. This is a two-year appointment, and the postdoc has the option to work on-site at Lawrence, KS Campus in Malott Hall or fully remote within the United States.
Designation: Postdoctoral Researcher
Research Area: Observational Astronomy
Location: Lawrence, KS Campus (Malott Hall) or Fully Remote (within the United States)
- Ph.D. in astronomy or physics or a related field by the date of appointment
- Experience with data reduction from the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
Job Description: The postdoc will:
- Download JWST/MIRI raw images, run through the JWST pipeline, and produce science-ready images.
- Use the best calibrations in collaboration with experienced team members.
- Create a photometric catalog using SExtractor and cross-match it with existing team catalogs.
- Assist in training undergraduate and graduate students.
- Devote 50% to MIRI data reduction and catalog creation, 40% to pursuing personal research, and 10% to assisting faculty in guiding graduate and undergraduate students.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a complete application online, including a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae (CV) with a publications list and research experience, and at least 2 letters of recommendation (solicited only for highly ranked candidates). For inquiries, contact Professor Allison Kirkpatrick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Date for Apply: Application review begins on 31 January 2024, and continues as needed to collect a pool of qualified applicants. To ensure consideration, apply before the application review date.
Table: Position Details
|Postdoctoral Researcher – Physics and Astronomy
|Lawrence, KS Campus (Malott Hall) or Fully Remote (within the United States)
|Monday to Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM
|Limited Term End Date
|Unclassified Professional Staff
|Work Location Assignment
|Conditions of Employment
|Contingent on Funding
|Ph.D. in astronomy or physics or a related field by the date of appointment
|Experience with data reduction from the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
Table: Application Details
|Apply online, including a cover letter, CV, and at least 2 letters of recommendation (solicited only for highly ranked candidates)
|Contact for Inquiries
|Professor Allison Kirkpatrick at email@example.com
|Application Review Begins
|Anticipated Start Date
|Sunday 14 January 2024 11:59 PM
Table: University Information
|University of Kansas
|Prohibits discrimination based on various factors and encourages diversity and inclusion
|Title IX Coordinator
|Associate Vice Chancellor for Civil Rights and Title IX, firstname.lastname@example.org