Designation/Position- Educational loan scholarship
JN Tata Endowment Fund, India invites application for
Educational loan scholarship from eligible and interested candidates
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to Indian nationals only at the beginning of the course for full-time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral studies/Research Fellowships studies abroad, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender, or community. The amount to be awarded to each scholar by way of loan scholarship is determined based on the norms laid down for the purpose and does not cover the full cost of studies. The amount awarded as the loan scholarship ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All selected scholars do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The selected scholars may also be recommended for a gift scholarship and travel assistance from our allied Trusts as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. A gift scholarship can be for a maximum amount of Rs.7,50,000/- and the travel grant can be a maximum of Rs.50,000/-.
Research/Job Area- Scholarship for higher studies abroad
Location- JN Tata Endowment Fund
- Candidates should be Indian nationals who are graduates of a recognized Indian University and have secured at least 60% in their last academic examination. If you do not have an undergraduate degree from a recognized University in India, you cannot apply.
- At the beginning of the second year of their overseas studies, candidates who are at the beginning of their overseas studies (Fall 2021– Spring 2022) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only if the minimum duration, of course, is 2 years. J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship are eligible to apply.
- Candidates in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they do not have the admission/offer letters when making the application from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2021-2022. However, they must update their application status with the Endowment once they secure admission.
- Candidates not older than 45 years as of 30 June 2021, with a good academic record and experience in their fields, specialization, or training, may also apply.
- Candidates going abroad for seminars, conferences, and undergraduate studies are not eligible for the J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
Scholars going abroad for seminars, conferences, and undergraduate studies are not eligible for a J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
It is a matter of pride to be called a JN Tata Scholar.
Staying true to our founder Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee’s vision of rewarding the brightest and the best, we follow a rigorous selection process. Candidates may note the following points:
- Apart from consistent academic performance, we give importance to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is significant for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it to increase your loan scholarship chances.
- The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. We have provided some guidance on our website on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism.
- After the initial screening of applications, candidates are shortlisted to undergo an online test, which will be based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA), on Sunday, 12 April 2021. Timing and other details will be informed accordingly. Candidates shortlisted based on the online test will be called for an interview. Such candidates should upload scanned copies of the required documents on the application form portal in the upload documents section before the interview.
Candidates should note that to be shortlisted for an interview is no guarantee of receiving the loan scholarship.
- The technical interview, conducted in person at Mumbai or video conference through Skype & Microsoft Teams by the Director of the Endowment and a subject expert, from April onwards, carries the most weightage in the selection process. “Technical” refers to the evaluation of candidates’ understanding of their subjects – current and future.
- Candidates should come prepared with knowledge of their subjects and chosen areas of interest with any specialization, as shown in their application for admission. They will be examined in-depth and in detail, and greater weight will be given to depth of understanding of the chosen area of study and career path.
- At the beginning of the 2nd year, candidates would also be assessed on their first year/semester of overseas studies.
The final selection of scholars’ for the award of the loan scholarship is based on the following criteria:
- 1. Performance at the interview;
- 2. Score at the online test;
- 3. Score based on academic results, GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL scores, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, research work, statement of purpose, and work experience.
All the Awards will be announced together latest by the first week of July by mail. The Trustees’ decision on the award of scholarships is final. Correspondence in this regard will not be entertained.
How to Apply-
- The candidate and the guarantor (preferably a parent or a relative having the capacity to repay the loan) will have to visit the Administrative Office of the Endowment, by prior appointment, to complete the necessary formalities after obtaining the visa.
- They will be required to enter into a legal agreement with the Trustees and provide documentary evidence of the guarantor’s capacity to repay the loan.
- Candidates must repay the loan scholarship in five equal installments of 20% between the third and seventh year. Candidates must begin to repay earlier than year three if they have started earning.
(i)All applications have to be submitted online.
(ii)Our office remains closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays