Established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009, the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) aims at attracting the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) invites applications for the 2024/25 admission cycle. Established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC), the scheme aims to attract exceptional international students for full-time PhD programs in government-funded institutions in Hong Kong. Successful applicants will receive prestigious fellowship awards, including a monthly stipend, travel allowance, and additional benefits.
Designation: Research Fellow
Research Area: Various disciplines in full-time PhD programs offered by government-funded institutions in Hong Kong.
Shortlisted applications, subject to their areas of studies, will be reviewed by one of the following two Selection Panels comprising experts in the relevant board areas:
- Sciences, Medicine, Engineering and Technology
- Humanities, Social Sciences and Business Studies
Location: Hong Kong
- New applicants to full-time PhD programs in government-funded institutions in Hong Kong.
- Open to candidates worldwide, regardless of their country of origin and ethnic background.
- Demonstrated outstanding academic performance, research potential, communication skills, and leadership abilities.
Candidates who are seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
Fellowship Awards for 2024/25 Admission:
The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$331,200 (approximately US$42,460) and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,800 (approximately US$1,760) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years. 350 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2024/25 academic year*. For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
* Universities in Hong Kong normally start their academic year in September.
While candidates’ academic excellence is of primary consideration, the Selection Panels will take into account factors as follows:
- Academic excellence;
- Research ability and potential;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Leadership abilities.
- Application opens: September 1, 2023
- Application deadline: December 1, 2023, at 12:00 noon, Hong Kong Time (GMT +8 hours)
How to Apply:
- Submit an initial online application through the RGC’s HKPFS Electronic System by December 1, 2023, to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number.
- After RGC submission, apply to HKU through the Online Application System by December 1, 2023, indicating HKPFS and quoting the HKPFS Reference Number.
- Only one application is allowed through RGC; multiple submissions will result in disqualification.
- Applicants choose up to two programs/departments at one or two universities for PhD study during the initial application.
- Applicants pursuing PhD studies at HKU should specify HKU as the first choice in the RGC’s HKPFS Electronic System.
Last Date for Apply: 01 December 2023