JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme – 2019 in Japan
Designation/Position- JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
United Nations University & JSPS invites application for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme from eligible and interested candidates
About- Jointly organized by the United Nations University and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is designed to provide promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic focus areas of the UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS, Tokyo) in cooperation with host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutions. UNU-IAS acts as the nominating authority for the JSPS–UNU Programme. This fellowship is aimed at candidates who have completed their doctorates in the past six years and also have professional and/or research experience. UNU-IAS will assist in securing acceptance from host researchers for short-listed candidates.
Research/Job Area– Science/Engineering/Sociology/Agriculture/Various fields
The following research projects at UNU-IAS are accepting applications for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellows:
- Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services Assessment
- Governance for Sustainable Development
- International Satoyama Initiative
- Water for Sustainable Development
Location- Tokyo, Japan
- PhD degree in related field
- Demonstrated research skills and a sound record of publication in similar areas
- Ability to design and implement research involving fieldwork
- Fluency in English is essential, and a working knowledge of other languages is desirable
- Those who have previously been awarded a Standard or Pathway Fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan scheme are not eligible.
- Permanent Japan-residency are not eligible.
- Applicants must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Applicants must hold a doctorate received on or after 2 April 2013 (i.e., the degree must have been received within six years prior to 1 April 2019), when the fellowship begins or be scheduled to receive doctorate before the fellowship begins.
Job/Position Description- Fellowships are awarded for a period of 24 months. Applicants must hold a doctoral degree (received on or after 2 April 2013) when the fellowship begins, or be scheduled to receive a doctoral degree before the fellowship begins. Japanese nationals are not eligible, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also, those who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible. Those who have been previously awarded a Standard or Pathway Fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan scheme are not eligible.
The JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme begins on 1 September and the selected Fellows are required to be in Japan by this date.
Fellowships are awarded for a period of 24 months.
Terms of the Award
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- A monthly maintenance allowance of JPY362,000
- A settling-in allowance of JPY200,000 (based on JSPS regulations)
- Overseas travel, accident, and sickness insurance coverage, etc.
- The amounts of the awards indicated above are subject to change by JSPS.
- In the case that a Fellow is already residing in Japan before his/her fellowship starts or obtains resident status before his/her fellowship is designated to begin, the above-mentioned air ticket to Japan and settling-in allowance will not be provided.
- A research grant, “Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research”, is available to cover cooperative research-related expenses. Application for these grants is made by the host researcher through his/her institution.
How to Apply- Interested and eligible candidates are invited to submit a completed application form and supporting documents to [email protected]. If an applicant does not have access to the Internet, he or she should contact UNU-IAS. The form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If supporting documents are not in English, English translations must be attached.
Review of applications by the Fellowship Committee will begin immediately after the application deadline. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for a telephone interview and to provide reference letters.
For Contact- [email protected]
Last Date for Apply– 15 March 2019