Optical Scientist: Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
- Date: September 4, 2023
- Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
- Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Requisition Id: 9271
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to support the Signals Collections and Analysis Group in the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND), National Security Sciences Directorate (NSSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The successful candidate will support research efforts in optical system design and sensing, machine vision, and signal analysis. This position will involve assembly of optical systems, testing of machine vision methodologies, and processing complex signals obtained from these systems. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated and creative researcher capable of solving challenging problems in the nonproliferation mission space.
- Record and analyze optical signals utilizing machine vision and complex optical signal capture methodologies
- Characterize optical sensor performance in varying environmental conditions
- Investigate new methods of neuromorphic sensing and data analysis methodologies
- Design and construction of optomechanical systems and subsystems using COTS or custom materials
- Prepare and provide reporting on system design and data analysis for customer review
- Contribute to the expansion of a research program investigating novel signal analysis methods to satisfy mission objectives
- A PhD in optical engineering, astronomy, physics, computer science, or a related field completed within the past 5 years
- Familiarity with optical system and subsystem design
- Experience with scientific analysis software such as Python, R, MATLAB, Igor, or comparable equivalent
- Experience processing optical signals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A demonstrated background in productive and creative research efforts
- Experience with optical design software such as Zemax or Code V
- Experience with neuromorphic optical sensing systems
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a complex research environment requiring adaptability to satisfy sponsor and mission requirements
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
- Q clearance with SCI: This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. In addition, due to the SCI, you may also be subject to random polygraph testing.
- Visa Sponsorship: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third-party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted, and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Last Date for Apply: The position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days, after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.