Ph.D. Opportunity – UPLIFT Project: The School of Food and Nutritional Sciences at University College Cork (UCC) invites applications for a Ph.D. opportunity in the DAFM Funded “UPLIFT” Research Project. The project focuses on uncovering alternative protein potential through fermentation technology, specifically in the development of next-generation alternative protein foods using bioprocess innovations, smart strain selection, and exploring health impacts.
Ph.D. Opportunity in the “UPLIFT” Research Project
Designation: Ph.D. Researcher
Research Area: Development of next-generation alternative protein foods: bioprocess innovations, smart strain selection, and health impacts
Location: Initially based at Teagasc Food Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Cork for at least the first 12 months, followed by placement at the School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, UCC.
- Hold or expect a First Class Honours or Second Class Honours Grade One degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- Relevant Master’s degree holders are also eligible.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work effectively within a research team.
- Desirable to have laboratory experience, and experience with food technology, formulation, or fermentation.
Job Description: The successful Ph.D. candidate will contribute to the UPLIFT project by developing smart strain selection strategies and innovative process technologies for fermented plant-based ingredients and hybrid fermentations of dairy and plant blends. The role includes the valorization of plant-based ingredients from fermentates and a comprehensive evaluation of the health impacts of fermented protein products, considering bioavailability, digestibility, and their effects on microbiome functionality.
- The scholarship has a value of €31,000 per annum.
- Fees of up to €6,000 will be covered.
- Stipend is contingent on satisfactory scientific results and publications.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit their applications (CV with cover letter and references) by email to Dr. Tom O’Callaghan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof. Olivia McAuliffe (email@example.com) with the subject line “UPLIFT UCC PhD Application.” The deadline for applications is February 16th, 2024.
Note: For applicants whose first language is not English, please refer to the English language requirements for UCC at https://www.ucc.ie/en/study/comparison/english/postgraduate/. The project is led by Dr. Tom O’Callaghan and co-supervised by Prof. Olivia McAuliffe (Teagasc) and Prof. Paul O’Toole (UCC).