PhD Opportunity in Mineral Microbiome: The Centre for Bioprocess Engineering Research (CeBER), in collaboration with BRGM, is seeking a dynamic and motivated PhD candidate to explore the dynamics of the mineral microbiome in the efficient leaching of mineral sulphides for base metal recovery through biohydrometallurgy. This collaborative PhD project will be registered at the University of Cape Town, with research conducted in both CeBER labs in Cape Town, South Africa, and BRGM labs in Orleans, France. The interdisciplinary research will focus on the role of biohydrometallurgy in metal recovery and waste beneficiation, combining aspects of engineering, biological sciences, and modeling.
Designation: PhD Candidate
Research Area: Biohydrometallurgy and the Mineral Microbiome
Location: CeBER labs in Cape Town, South Africa, and BRGM labs in Orleans, France
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Process Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering).
- Strong background or interest in biohydrometallurgy.
- Demonstrated expertise in micro- and molecular biology.
- Ability to work across disciplines and interest in interdisciplinary research.
- Excellent academic record.
PhD Opportunity in Biohydrometallurgy and the Mineral Microbiome
- Investigate the dynamics of the mineral microbiome in the efficient leaching of mineral sulphides for base metal recovery through biohydrometallurgy.
- Utilize a scale-down approach to understand microbial community dynamics in response to changing conditions within tank leaching.
- Focus on the recovery of metals from mineral concentrates and mining wastes.
- Develop pathways for optimizing bioleaching or bio-oxidation in intensive tank processes.
- Explore metabolic contributions and stress responses at a species level.
- Co-supervised by Prof Sue Harrison (CeBER) and Dr Christopher Bryan (BRGM).
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a CV, academic record, and a short letter of motivation, along with the contact details of two referees, via email to Ms. Ruegshana Ederies at CeBER (firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information about CeBER, visit the Centre’s webpage at www.ceber.uct.za. Further details about BRGM are available at www.brgm.fr.
Last Date for Apply: Until position filled