PhD Positions in Environmental Microbiology: Join the Environmental Microbiology group at ETH Zürich and contribute to cutting-edge research in anaerobic microbiology. We are seeking two highly motivated PhD candidates to illuminate the world of anaerobic microbiology, focusing on microorganisms that capture and convert greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and methane. Through metagenomics, microbiology, and biochemistry, you will explore the role of anaerobic microorganisms in biogeochemical cycles and environmental processes. These full-time positions offer an opportunity to conduct fieldwork, laboratory research, and computational analysis. If you are passionate about environmental microbiology, this is your chance to make a significant impact.
|Research Area:||Environmental Microbiology|
|Location:||ETH Zürich, Department of Environmental Systems Sciences, Zurich, Switzerland|
|Type:||Fixed-term (Expected start date: Autumn 2023 or mutual agreement)|
|Application Deadline:||September 30, 2023|
Job Description: As a PhD candidate in the Environmental Microbiology group, you will:
- Conduct fieldwork and laboratory research in anaerobic microbiology.
- Use metagenomics to illuminate microbial communities in anoxic environments.
- Investigate microorganisms and elements influencing the cycling of greenhouse gases.
- Explore the physiology, metabolism, and biochemistry of anaerobic bacteria and archaea through cultivation and molecular biology approaches.
Your Profile: We are looking for candidates who possess:
- M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences, Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, or a related discipline.
- Skills in microbiological and molecular biology techniques.
- Desirable prior experience with anaerobic microorganisms.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
- Opportunities for cutting-edge research with high impact in environmental microbiology.
- A collaborative research environment.
- Access to state-of-the-art computational infrastructure.
- Support for career development through conference travel and workshops.
- A dynamic working environment, cultural diversity, and attractive benefits.
- Family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are invited to apply online with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- CV including a publication list
- Contact details of two references
Please note that only applications submitted through the online portal will be considered. Email and postal applications will not be accepted.
Contact: For inquiries about the position, please contact Prof. Marie Schoelmerich at [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Join us in exploring the fascinating world of anaerobic microbiology and contribute to groundbreaking research that addresses critical environmental challenges. Apply now and be part of ETH Zürich’s commitment to inclusivity, diversity, and excellence in research. Deadline for applications: September 30, 2023.