Postdoctoral Fellowship in Global : Join the Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Global Mental Health Implementation Science, a collaborative initiative between the Aga Khan University’s Brain and Mind Institute and the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School. This two-year fellowship program aims to enhance capacity for global mental health implementation science in South and Central Asia and/or East Africa. As a postdoctoral fellow, you will engage in research projects designed to translate mental health interventions into low- and middle-income countries. This unique opportunity includes a year at Harvard Medical School (Year 1) and a year at Aga Khan University (Year 2).
|Research Area:||Global Mental Health Implementation Science|
|Location:||Year 1: Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA; Year 2: Aga Khan University – East Africa / South and Central Asia|
|Salary:||Consistent with HMS and AKU guidelines (Details: Salary & Stipend Guidelines)|
|Primary Supervisors:||Dr. Vikram Patel and Dr. Zul Merali|
- Year 1: Harvard Medical School
- Collaborate with a nominated Harvard faculty member to draft an implementation science research proposal.
- Secure IRB permission and acquire research skills.
- Develop an Individual Development Plan (IDP) following NIH and Harvard guidelines.
- Access Harvard’s research and training resources, including courses, seminars, and conferences.
- Year 2: Aga Khan University
- Implement the research project developed during Year 1.
- Retain visiting appointments at Harvard with access to academic and networking opportunities.
- Receive continued supervision and guidance from Harvard mentors.
- Aim for at least one peer-reviewed publication and plan a grant application for a new research project.
- Regular research and progress assessment meetings with Harvard faculty mentors.
- AKU mentorship to facilitate collaboration between senior faculty from both universities.
- PhD or MD with a research thesis degree obtained by December 01, 2023.
- Academic achievements, including prior peer-reviewed publications.
- Commitment to a career in global mental health research, particularly in regions served by Aga Khan University and the Aga Khan Development Network.
- Open to all qualified candidates.
- Commitment to global mental health and implementation science.
- Dedication to the needs of low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), especially those served by AKU and AKDN.
- Demonstrated academic excellence and/or knowledge/experience in LMICs.
- Desire to establish a career in the geographies served by AKU and AKDN.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit the following as one PDF to Dr. Zul Merali, Director, Brain and Mind Institute, at email@example.com:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter outlining interest in the fellowship.
- Personal statement (up to 1,000 words) demonstrating passion for impactful mental health research in LMICs or commitment to relevant issues and countries.
- Writing samples or publication examples (up to three total).
- Names and contact information for three references.
- Confirmation of completion of an MD with a research thesis degree or award of a PhD by December 01, 2023.
Submit all items in one consolidated PDF document titled “[your last name, first initial]_GMH2024” by September 30, 2023.
Last Date for Apply: September 30, 2023
Equal Opportunity Employer: Harvard University and Aga Khan University are equal opportunity employers, encouraging applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds, including women and underrepresented minorities. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.