Postdoctoral Scientist / Ph.D. Student: The Computational Microscopy group of Prof. Dr. Philipp Pelz at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Scientist or Ph.D. Student in Computational Microscopy to develop new approaches and algorithms for large-scale, multi-dimensional, multi-modal reconstruction of electron-microscopy datasets at the atomic, nanoscale, and microscale. The position offers access to state-of-the-art aberration-corrected electron microscopes and a lab-based x-ray microscope at the Center for Nanoanalysis and Electron Microscopy, as well as high-performance computing resources at the Erlangen National High-Performance Computing Center.
Designation: Postdoctoral Scientist / Ph.D. Student
Research Area: Computational Microscopy
Location: FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
- For Postdoctoral Scientist: Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, physical sciences, materials science, or a related discipline.
- For Ph.D. Student: M.Sc. in computer science, engineering, physical sciences, materials science, or a related discipline.
- Proficiency in scientific Python programming.
- Demonstrated record of scientific excellence through publications and talks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to be able to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment.
- Develop and test new approaches and algorithms for large-scale, multi-dimensional, multi-modal reconstruction of electron-microscopy datasets at the atomic, nanoscale, and microscale.
- Design, optimize, and execute multi-dimensional STEM experiments.
- Develop simulators, open-source software, and algorithms toward the goal of self-driving microscopes.
- Publish and present the results of these studies to the community.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (experience in one or more of the following):
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Jax.
- Background in diffraction physics, crystallography, or modern microscopy methods (e.g. ptychography, holography, etc.).
- Data acquisition at aberration-corrected STEMs.
- Developing and deploying AI models.
- Background in Computer Vision or Computational Imaging.
- Demonstrated record of collaborative software development, especially in distributed teams.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send an informal inquiry to Philipp Pelz (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include a motivation letter, CV with publication list, and contact information for two references.
Last Date for Apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Salary Information: Remuneration according to salary group E 13 TV-L 100% and subject to personal qualifications.
|Qualification/Experience||Postdoctoral Scientist||Ph.D. Student|
|Proficiency in scientific Python programming||Required||Required|
|Demonstrated record of scientific excellence through publications and talks||Required||Required|
|Excellent communication and interpersonal skills||Required||Required|
|Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment||Required||Required|
Note: FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from underrepresented minorities.