Research Fellow – Vector Biology: The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) is seeking a passionate and motivated Research Fellow to join the Unit of Experimental Immunology within the Department of Biomedical Sciences. As a Research Fellow, you will contribute to the understanding of molecular interactions between the vector mosquito innate immune system and the malaria parasite. The focus will be on identifying and characterizing genes and physiological systems related to Anopheles-Plasmodium compatibility and anti-Plasmodium immune responses in the vector mosquito. This is an exciting opportunity to conduct cutting-edge research in vector biology and immunology in the context of vector-borne diseases.
Designation: Research Fellow
Research Area: Microbiology, Entomology, Vector Biology, or a related field
Location: Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
- PhD in Microbiology, Entomology, Vector Biology, or a related field
- Expertise in parasite tissue culture, preferably Plasmodium culture, and molecular biology techniques
- Interest in vector-borne diseases and immunology
- Preferably, previous expertise in entomology and mouse models
- High level of enthusiasm, motivation, and scientific curiosity
- Excellent scientific writing and oral communication skills in English
- Strong organizational skills
Job Description: As a Research Fellow, your responsibilities will include:
- Conducting one or more lines of research within the Unit’s research program, collaborating with other team members.
- Performing Plasmodium cultures, mosquito rearing, and infection assays.
- Conducting molecular biology, immunology, and cellular biology analyses.
- Writing high-quality publications for scientific journals.
- Presenting research results at different levels and for different audiences.
- Contributing to scientific discussions and assisting in the training and supervision of Master’s and PhD students.
- Applying for postdoctoral fellowships.
How to Apply: To apply for this position, please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
Please email your application to [email protected] with the subject line “Research Fellow – Vector Biology/Microbiology/Functional Genomics Application.”
Last Date for Apply: The application deadline is 15 June 2023.
Offer: The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive institute. In addition to contributing to the socially relevant mission of the ITM, you will benefit from the following:
- Full-time contract as a Research Fellow within the dynamic Experimental Immunology Unit, with an initial duration of 2 years.
- Collegial working environment with a focus on work-life balance and individual growth and development.
- Opportunities to interact with other ITM Units and Departments comprising a group of excellent scientists with expertise in tropical infectious diseases.
- State-of-the-art facilities located in the vibrant city of Antwerp, Belgium.
- Continuous training, co-supervision of junior staff/students, and collaboration with colleagues from inside and outside the Institute.
- Salary set according to the pay scales of ITM and based on your work experience, with supplementary benefits such as a private pension scheme, reimbursement of transport, and meal voucher subscription.
Please find below a table outlining the salary range:
|Minimum||To be determined|
|Midpoint||To be determined|
|Maximum||To be determined|
Note: The salary will be determined based on the pay scales of ITM and your work experience.