Postdoctoral and PhD Fellowships: A 3-year postdoctoral fellowship and a 4-year PhD fellowship are available at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) in the Engineering of Molecular NanoSystems laboratory to work on the synthesis and development of transmembrane transporters for ions. The positions are funded by the European Research Council (ERC) and the national foundation for scientific research (FNRS).
Designation: Recognised Researcher (R2)
Research Area: Chemistry, Organic chemistry, and Molecular chemistry
Location: Brussels, Belgium
- PhD degree in Chemistry or equivalent
- Strong background in Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Ability to synthesize novel compounds and develop robust synthetic routes and protocols
- Experience in the structural characterization of organic compounds, especially by NMR spectroscopy
- Familiarity with the concepts of Supramolecular Chemistry and Coordination Chemistry and the study of host-guest or metal-ligand interactions
- Strong team worker
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Strongly developed logic and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills in English
The successful applicants will join the team of Dr. Hennie Valkenier to work on different aspects of the development of synthetic transmembrane transporters:
- Design and synthesis of compounds, in collaboration with Prof. Ivan Jabin (Laboratory of Organic Chemistry).
- Studies of the interactions between the synthetic receptors (or ligands) and the ions using various physicochemical methods including NMR, microcalorimetry, and optical spectroscopy.
- Transmembrane transport studies in liposomes, using fluorescence and NMR spectroscopy.
- Activity studies in cells, in close collaboration with different specialized labs in Belgium, France, and the UK.
How to Apply:
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (with as subject: Application PostDoc-TransmembraneTransporters, your name) and should include:
- A cover letter to Dr. Hennie Valkenier, motivating the application for this position and considering the listed requirements
- A CV, including a list of publications and communications
- Contact details of two persons that can provide a reference
Last Date for Apply: 28/02/2023 – 23:59 (Europe/Brussels)
Benefits: The net amount of the postdoctoral mobility fellowship will be ~€2850/month