Postdoctoral Appointee: Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. We are looking for a motivated postdoctoral experimentalist to work on ultrafast dynamics projects in Livermore, CA.
Designation: Postdoctoral Appointee
Research Area: Ultrafast Vibrational Dynamics
Location: Livermore, CA
- Ph.D. in chemistry, physics, materials science, or a related field.
- Experience with femtosecond amplified laser systems, nonlinear optics, and instrumentation.
- Strong background in vibrational dynamics and/or electronic dynamics.
- Experience with ultrafast infrared spectroscopy and/or ultrafast core-level spectroscopy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, evidenced by a strong publication record.
- Demonstrated ability to address complex problems creatively and work effectively both independently and in a team.
- Experience with MATLAB, LabVIEW, Python, and related software.
Job Description: We are seeking a motivated postdoctoral experimentalist to work on ultrafast dynamics projects. The research will involve two primary projects:
- Investigating vibrational energy transfer in energetic materials under static pressure loading in a diamond anvil cell, using ultrafast broadband infrared spectroscopy.
- Studying complex excited state electronic and structural dynamics governing processes such as photodissociation, conformational change, and charge transfer in gas-phase molecules using ultrafast soft X-ray spectroscopy, ultrafast infrared spectroscopy, and ultrafast electron diffraction.
The successful candidate will collaborate closely with theorists, materials scientists, and other scientists and engineers. Responsibilities include operating ultrafast high-power laser systems, building optical setups, and performing various spectroscopic techniques. The postdoc will publish research in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present findings at national and international conferences. This position offers the opportunity to develop expertise in electronic and vibrational dynamics and spectroscopy and to build technical skills in ultrafast lasers, optics, and vacuum systems.
How to Apply: Apply Now using Job ID: 691518 Online Application.
Last Date for Apply: This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date.’ Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Note: Due to the nature of the work, the selected candidate must be able to work onsite at the Sandia Livermore location.
Sandia National Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.