Postdoctoral Position— University: A postdoctoral position is available immediately at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to conduct research on molecular and cellular changes associated with desiccation tolerance in plants and other organisms. This exciting opportunity will involve advanced light and electron tomography imaging techniques and will be part of the Water and Life Interface Integration Institute (WALII). WALII is a collaborative virtual institute that studies how life interacts with water at various levels, spanning plants, fungi, and animals. Our mission is to uncover the principles governing these interactions, develop technologies to study anhydrobiosis, engineer desiccation-resistant organisms, and nurture the next generation of leaders in this field.
|Research Area:||Molecular and Cellular Biology, Desiccation Tolerance|
|Location:||University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA|
|Eligibility/Qualification:||Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Imaging, Plant Biology, Genetics, or related field. Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to collaborate effectively.|
|Job Description:||The successful candidate will:|
- Conduct molecular and genetic characterization of desiccation-tolerant organisms.
- Process and analyze biological samples using various microscopy techniques.
- Perform structural analysis of cellular compartments, membranes, and molecular complexes through electron tomography.
- Train and mentor undergraduate and graduate students in research methodologies.
| Required Skills: |
- Ph.D. in a relevant field.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Collaborative work ethic.
- Experience with transmission electron microscopy and cryo-electron microscopy.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit the following documents to Marisa Otegui at email@example.com:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter explaining motivations for applying to this position
- List of three individuals who can provide reference letters
Starting Date: As early as June 1, 2023
About WALII: The Water and Life Interface Integration Institute (WALII) is dedicated to understanding the intricate relationships between life and water across various organisms and scales. Our team of experts encompasses diverse fields, from biophysics to plant biology. We aim to decipher the mechanisms behind desiccation tolerance, develop innovative technologies, engineer resilient organisms, and foster future leaders. WALII offers mentorship, outreach, and professional development opportunities, including funding support for conference attendance and internal training programs.
Join us in advancing our understanding of how organisms interact with water and contribute to the cutting-edge research conducted at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.