Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biophysics: The Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position in Single Molecule Biophysics. This 12-month fixed-term contract offers an exciting opportunity to work under the supervision of Professor Madhavi Krishnan, focusing on soft condensed matter at the nanometer scale, particularly the measurement and understanding of electrostatics in molecular-scale matter, including biological macromolecules.
- Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate in Single Molecule Biophysics
- Designation: Research Associate (Grade 7)
- Research Area: Single Molecule Biophysics, Soft Condensed Matter, Molecular-scale Electrostatics
- Location: Department of Chemistry, Chemistry Research Laboratory, University of Oxford, 12 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TA, United Kingdom
- Salary: £36,024 to £44,263 p.a (Grade 7)
- Hours: Full Time
- Contract Type: Fixed-Term/Contract
- Placed On: 7th August 2023
- Closes: 18th September 2023
- Job Ref: 167384
Job Description: The successful candidate will work closely with Professor Madhavi Krishnan on a 12-month research project in the field of single molecule biophysics. The project aims to utilize innovative electrometry techniques to investigate molecular-scale electrostatics, focusing on areas such as charge-changing post-translational modifications in proteins, molecular conformation, and molecular binding affinities. The work involves a combination of experimental approaches, optical imaging, spectroscopy, nanofabrication techniques, as well as theory and simulation involving numerical mean-field electrostatics calculations and Brownian Dynamics simulations.
- PhD in physics, biophysics, physical chemistry, biochemistry, or related fields (or nearing completion)
- Expertise in single molecule fluorescence experiments, including building or modifying experimental setups for optical imaging and spectroscopy
- Proficiency in data analysis and interpretation
- Experience or ability to perform basic biochemical work with proteins and DNA, e.g., fluorescence labeling, enzymatic reactions
- Strong project management skills and ability to coordinate multiple tasks to meet deadlines
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted online. The application package should include:
- A supporting statement addressing how you meet the selection criteria, supported by examples of your skills and experience.
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
Please note that certificates, references, and research papers should not be provided at this stage.
Last Date for Application: The application deadline is 12:00 midday, Monday 18 September 2023.
Diversity and Inclusion: The University of Oxford is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applications are particularly encouraged from women and candidates from black and ethnic minority backgrounds, who are currently under-represented in Chemistry research posts at Oxford.
For further information about the Krishnan group and the research, please visit: Krishnan Group