Designation/Position- SERB Distinguished Fellowship
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), India invites application for SERB Distinguished Fellowship from eligible and interested candidates
About- One of the most notable developments in the S&T sector in the XI Plan has been the setting up of the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) through an Act of Parliament, viz. the Science and Engineering Research Board Act, 2008. Promoting basic research in Science and Engineering and to provide financial assistance to persons engaged in such research, academic institutions, research and development laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies for such research and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto are the primary and distinctive mandate of the Board.
SERB aims to build up best management systems which would match the best global practices in the area of promotion and funding of basic research.
Research/Job Area- Science and Engineering
Location- Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), India
- The nominee should be a superannuated but an active resident Indian scientist/ academician who is associated with any recognized Indian laboratory / institute / university with proven track record of outstanding contributions in any one or more areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, during the last 10 years, including continued excellent research output in the last five years. The scientists left with maximum of six months period service to superannuate after the closing date of nomination, may also apply.
- The nominee must have received recognition for his work from national / international scientific bodies such as membership in prestigious academies.
- The nominee should not hold any administrative roles and functions and is not in receipt of any other fellowship / salary.
Job/Position Description- Many active senior scientists who are passionate in research find it extremely difficult to continue their research after superannuation and forced to stop doing research against their choice. The great amount of knowledge and more importantly the experience that they have accumulated over many years, which may be considered a non-replaceable treasure, can be lost if some avenues are not made available to them. In order to support research of eminent scientists who do not hold any administrative roles and functions but are active and performing, SERB has instituted Distinguished SERB Fellowship Award.
To support research of superannuated eminent senior scientists who are passionate in research and actively involved in R & D activities even after their retirement.
- Research grant of Rs.20.0 lakhs per annum and fel lowship amount of Rs.60, 000 per month will be given to each Fellow.
- The research grant shall be used for manpower, equipment, travel (including international), contingency, etc.
- The award will be given initially for a period of 3 years and is extendable for another 2 years.
How to Apply- Past and Present Presidents of any of the national science academies (including Engineering, Agriculture and Medicine), Directors of National Laboratories, Vice-Chancellors of Universities and members of Science and Engineering Research Board.
Note: After the final selection, the selected Distinguish Fellow cannot defer joining the host institute (under formal guidelines) for more than a year.
The details of Programme Advisor / Coordinator are given below:
|Name of the Programme||Programme Advisor / Coordinator|
|SERB Distinguished Fellowship||Dr. R K Mehajan
Scientist-G and Head-EAS Division
Last Date for Apply– Call for nomination is made from time to time.