DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme 2021 (Salary Rs.1,25,000/- pm.)
Designation/Position- DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme
Department of Science and Technology, GOI, India invites application for DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, launched the “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research(INSPIRE)” [www.online-inspire.gov.in] Programme in 2008. This programme which covers the age group of 15-37 years, aims to attract young Indian talent towards study of science leading to careers in research. INSPIRE includes multiple components out of which the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme offers post-doctoral fellowships to young achievers with an opportunity for independent research in the near term to emerge as a future leader in the long term. DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme
- Designation/Position- DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme
- Research/Job Area- Science and Engineering
- Location- Academic/research institute in India
- Job/Position Description-
- How to Apply-
- Last Date for Apply– 04 October 2021
- Guidelines for filling up Online Application Form for INSPIRE Faculty Award
- The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, launched the “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research(INSPIRE)” [www.online-inspire.gov.in] Programme in 2008.
- This programme which covers the age group of 15-37 years, aims to attract young Indian talent towards study of science leading to careers in research.
- The INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme offers post-doctoral fellowships to young achievers with an opportunity for independent research in the near term to emerge as a future leader in the long term.
- The Fellowship is for a maximum period of 5(five) years.
- The upper age limit as on 1st Jan 2021 is 32 years for General Category.
- For SC/ST/Women candidates, the upper agelimit will be 37 years.
- For persons with benchmark disabilities (Divyangjan with not less than 40 percent of a specified disability), the upperAge limit will be 42 years.
- Each selected INSPIRED Faculty Fellow will be eligible to receive a consolidated amount of Rs.1,25,000 per month as fellowship.
Research/Job Area- Science and Engineering
Location- Academic/research institute in India
- Indian citizens and people of Indian origin with PIO status having PhD degree (in science, mathematics, engineering, pharmacy, medicine and agriculture related subjects) from any recognized university in the world.
- Candidates should possess a minimum of 60% (or equivalent CGPA) marks throughout their academic profile starting from the Higher Secondary Examination (Class 12 onwards).
- Those who have submitted their PhD theses and are awaiting the award of degree shall also be eligible. However, selection for the Fellowship will be confirmed only after the PhD degree is awarded.
- The upper age limit as on 1st Jan 2021 is 32 years for General Category. However, for SC/ST/Women candidates, the upper age limit will be 37 years. For persons with benchmark disabilities (Divyangjan with not less than 40 percent of a specified disability), the upper age limit will be 42 years.
- Publication(s) in highly reputed journals demonstrating outstanding research potential of the candidate.
- Candidates who are employed in regular/contractual positions within India may also apply for INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship for improvement and enhancement in their career prospects but, upon selection, the candidates will need to resign (no lien or deputation or any type of leave would be accepted) from the current job and organization before taking up the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship. The candidates, who get selected for regular position in any institute/university after submission of IFF application, would be entitled to receive the Research Grant only as INSPIRE Faculty Fellows.
➢ Candidates who are within top 1% in Class 12 examination, IIT-JEE rank holders, 1st rank holders either in graduation or post-graduation level university examinations.
Amount and Duration of INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship
- Each selected INSPIRE Faculty Fellow will be eligible to receive a consolidated amount of Rs.1,25,000/- per month as fellowship. In addition, a Research Grant of Rs.7.0 lakh every year for 5 years will also be provided to each successful candidate including the carry- forward amount, if any, from the previous year. The consolidated amount of Rs.1,25,000 per month is an all-inclusive fellowship and taxable as per the Indian IT Act.
- The INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship is for a maximum period of 5(five) years. No Fellow should avail two fellowships concurrently during the tenure of this Fellowship period.
Terms and Conditions for Implementation
- Candidates, who have not identified host institutions at the time of their application, should do so immediately after their final selection. All selected candidates should avail the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship within 3 months of their final selection.
- A selected candidate, who is yet to be awarded the PhD degree, will receive intimation for submission of his/her PhD degree certificate within 3 months to avoid forfeiting the opportunity. Upon submission of the PhD degree certificate, the Offer Letter will be issued to the candidate through the web portal with 3 months’ validity to undertake the fellowship at the chosen Host Institution.
- Selected INSPIRE Faculty Fellows joining private academic/research institutes shall receive only the Research Grant and their host institutions will have to pay the fellowship amount as per Scheme norms.
- In case an INSPIRE Faculty Fellow, finds a permanent position during the tenure of the Fellowship, the Fellowship amount shall be discontinued from the day the INSPIRE Faculty
Fellow joins the permanent position, but he/she may continue with the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme availing Research Grant only for the remaining period to carry out research while occupying the new position.
- The INSPIRE Faculty Fellow is eligible to apply for any competitive grant from various funding agencies during the tenure of the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship.
Role and requirements of Host Institutions
- Host institutions are expected to provide congenial atmosphere to INSPIRE Faculty Fellows to enable them to excel in their work, and should view them as potential assets for faculty development. It is desirable if the host institutes introduce new areas/directions of research through this Scheme.
- Under no circumstances the “INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship” is renewable after 5(five) years. Host institutions are expected to consider the “INSPIRE Faculty Fellows” for permanent positions in due course, subject to their meeting institutional performance assessment criteria.
- Host institutes should provide acceptable laboratory and office space (independently or on shared basis), ensure access to all common infrastructural facilities, computing facilities, library etc., to the INSPIRE Faculty Fellows.
- Host institutes should provide information on whether the INSPIRE Faculty Fellow will be allowed to supervise PhD students, hire research fellows, independently or jointly with a permanent faculty member, while hosting the Faculty Fellows.
How to Apply-
- Eligible candidates need to submit applications ONLINE through the portal of INSPIRE programme. No other mode of submission of the application is permitted.
To apply ONLINE, please visit the website: www.online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process described therein. After successful submission of the application online, the candidate may obtain a printout of the application and keep it for his/her personal reference.
Method of Selection
- The Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, in coordination with DST, is implementing this INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme up to the stage of recommendation of candidates for INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship.
- A three-tier selections process, viz. evaluation by discipline-based Expert Committees (INSA), followed by the recommendations of Apex Level Committee (INSA) and INSPIRE Faculty Award Council (DST). Based on the recommendations of these Committees, DST makes the final selection.