PhD Candidate – Sustainable Biotech: Wageningen University & Research (WUR) is seeking a highly motivated PhD candidate for a chemistry research project focused on developing artificial metalloenzymes for sustainable biotechnology. The interdisciplinary research will involve inorganic chemistry and single-molecule biophysics, combining the expertise of the BioNanoTechnology research group at WUR and the Schmid lab at Basel University. The successful candidate will work on the synthesis of metal coordination complexes, their incorporation into proteins, and the creation of engineered functionalities.
Designation: PhD Candidate
Research Area: Artificial Metalloenzymes for Sustainable Biotech
Location: Wageningen, with research stay(s) at Basel University, Switzerland (~1 year)
- Successfully completed MSc degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry (background in proteins and enzymatic reactions is a plus) or a Science degree with a strong component in the mentioned disciplines.
- Experimental experience and fundamental knowledge of coordination chemistry, synthesis, bioinorganic chemistry, protein biochemistry, basic spectroscopic techniques, and related data analysis.
- Experience in protein production, functionalization, and single-molecule nanopore recordings and analysis is an additional benefit.
- Strong (spoken and written) communication skills.
- Proactive, structured, and reliable work style.
- Creative problem-solving approach to experimental challenges.
- English language proficiency at C1 level.
PhD Candidate – Artificial Metalloenzymes for Sustainable Biotech
- Develop synthetic metal coordination complexes and incorporate them into proteins to create artificial metalloenzymes with engineered functionalities.
- Utilize techniques such as chemical synthesis, state-of-the-art spectroscopy, protein biochemistry (including genetic code expansion), and single-molecule nanopore technology.
- Collaborate with the BioNanoTechnology research group at WUR and the Schmid lab at Basel University.
- Participate in paid research stay(s) at the University of Basel, Switzerland.
- Supervised by Dr. Namita Sharma and Dr. Sonja Schmid, with Prof. Aldrik Velders as the promoter.
How to Apply: Interested candidates can apply directly through the apply button on the official vacancy page on the WUR website. Applications will be accepted until Monday, December 4th, 2023.
Last Date for Apply: Monday, 04 December 2023.
Equal Opportunities: Wageningen University & Research is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. Applications are especially encouraged from individuals underrepresented at WUR. The organization aims to provide equal career opportunities to all talents.