Postdoctoral Researcher in Microbial-immune interface: The Smithsonian National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute’s Center for Conservation Genomics in Washington, DC is seeking a postdoctoral researcher to join a multidisciplinary team investigating the microbial-immune interface in amphibians. The project is funded by a National Science Foundation grant and aims to identify mechanisms underlying responses among interacting host microbiomes, host immune systems, and pathogens in skin symbioses and disease.
Designation: Postdoctoral Researcher
Research Area: Microbial-immune interface in amphibians
Location: Smithsonian National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute’s Center for Conservation Genomics, Washington, DC
- A Ph.D. in biological sciences, genetics, microbiology, or a related field
- A background in or interest in microbial ecology and conservation
- Ability to design and execute experimental studies
- Ability to travel to Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama to conduct laboratory experiments
- Experience with molecular techniques including DNA extractions, PCR, GPCR for pathogen diagnostics, 165 rRNA library prep, and other library prep methods for high-throughput sequencing
- Experience analyzing metabarcoding and/or genomic data
- Experienced with culturing microorganisms (fungi and/or bacteria)
- Experience compiling, managing, and analyzing large, complex datasets
- Experience with R and/or other programming languages
Job Description: The postdoctoral researcher will specialize in the microbial aspect of the microbial-immune interface and be responsible for conducting culturing assays, molecular work, and laboratory exposure experiments. The researcher will also analyze data, present results to team members and at scientific meetings, and prepare manuscripts. The position offers opportunities for mentoring, and research will be conducted in a well-equipped, modern laboratory.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to Dr. Carly Muletz Wolz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Date for Apply: The position will remain open until filled.