Designation/Position- Star College Scheme
Department of Biotechnology invites applications for the Call for Proposals – Star College Scheme from eligible and interested candidates
About- Department of Biotechnology invites applications from colleges of all the states and union territories of India offering undergraduate education (UG) in Sciences under ‘STAR COLLEGE’ Scheme to brand and nurture excellence in UG Science education under Urban and Rural categories. Call for Proposals – Star College Scheme
- Designation/Position- Star College Scheme
- Research/Job Area- Existing Science courses like Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Electronics, Computer Science etc
- Location- India
- How to Apply-
- Last Date for Apply– 01 June 2022
Research/Job Area- Existing Science courses like Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Electronics, Computer Science etc
- The program does not envisage initiating new UG courses in Biotechnology.
- Aim is to improve practical training in existing Science courses like Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Electronics, Computer Science etc.
- Proposals should clearly highlight additional practicals (as per prescribed curriculum, which could not be done due to lack of equipments or consumables) proposed to be conducted in existing courses by all participating departments, student projects (interdisciplinary/interdepartmental), visits to be undertaken by students to National Laboratories and industries and faculty improvement programs, etc.
- The Colleges, supported under the Scheme can also apply for addition of new departments not included earlier.
- However, such colleges should have completed one round of support i.e. 3 years under the scheme.
- Colleges that have not been recommended for support can re-apply to DBT for financial support with appropriate modifications and revisions. Colleges that have been rejected consecutively for 2 years or Colleges that were discontinued after a round of support are eligible for re- applying only after a cooling period of two years. Colleges should have valid 2(f) & 12(b) certificate in name of college.
- Applicants from Rural Areas need to submit Rural Area certificate as per format alongwith the application.
- Postgraduate and certificate courses are not eligible for the scheme.
DBT is committed to the values of i) Pursuit of excellence ii) Academic and intellectual freedom iii) Creativity and innovation iv) Diversity v) Cooperation and Communication & vi) accountability. DBT has therefore, launched a scheme for improving critical thinking and ‘hands on’ experimental work at undergraduate (college) level in sciences. It is expected to encourage, more students to take up higher education in science.
One time non-recurring grant of Rs. 10.00 lakhs per science department, recurring grant of Rs. 3.00 lakhs per science department per year for a period of three years, subject to satisfactory annual review, and Rs. 1.00 lakh, Rs. 2.00 lakhs and Rs. 3.00 lakhs subject to their departments for mentoring and monitoring per college and Rs. 1.00 lakh per year under contingency head will be provided. Scheme encourages purchase of multiple copies of routine equipment required for science practicals in UG courses within a ceiling of Rs. 1 lakhs. For purchase of equipments costing more than one lakh and up to three lakhs, prior approval of DBT is required.
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through ‘hands–on’ exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools.
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighboring institutions and other laboratories.
- To conduct specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities.
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipment and upgrading of existing facilities.
- To provide access and exposure to students to research laboratories and industries in the country.
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) / kits for practicals.
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers.
How to Apply-
Applications are invited online via Epromis Portal (please refer to advertisement), duly signed and stamped hardcopy version of the proposal submitted via EproMIS may be sent to: Dr. Garima Gupta Scientist ‘E’ Star College Scheme, HRD Division, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Block- 3, 5th Floor, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003
Last Date for Apply– 01 June 2022
Last Date for Submission of Proposals: 1st June, 2022
Last Date for Submission of Proposals from Remote Areas and Aspirational districts: 15th June, 2022