Designation/Position- Star College Scheme
Department of Biotechnology invites application for the Call for Proposals – Star College Scheme from eligible and interested candidates
About- Department of Biotechnology invites applications from colleges of all the states and union territories of India offering undergraduate education (UG) in Sciences under ‘STAR COLLEGE’ Scheme to brand and nurture excellence in UG Science education. The program emphasizes holistic improvement of science education at undergraduate level with special emphasis on practical training to students. Call for Proposals – Star College Scheme
Research/Job Area- Existing Science courses like Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Electronics, Computer Science etc
More Opportunities: Various Research Positions – 03 June 2021: Researchersjob- Updated
- Colleges that have not been recommended for support can reapply to DBT for financial support with appropriate modifications and revisions.
- Colleges that have been rejected consecutively for 2 years are eligible for re-applying only after a cooling period of two years.
- Colleges that were discontinued after a round of support are eligible for re-applying only after a cooling period of two years.
- Colleges supported under the strengthening component would be evaluated (on completion of three years) for up-gradation to Star Status, continuation at existing level, or discontinuation.
Call for Proposals Under Strengthening Component of Star College Scheme From UG Colleges Of India
The programme will receive financial support initially for a period of 3 years. Further continuation of support will be based on evaluation of the programme. After a period of 3 years, the colleges would be eligible for consideration of Star College status based on evaluation by the expert committee.
The initiative provides support for
(a) Improving knowledge and skills of teachers in basic Sciences and specialized techniques, (b) Access to specialized infrastructure to students, (c) Assurance of consumables, reagents and chemicals for students, (d) Substantial hands-on experience in designing and conducting practicals to ensure critical thinking, (e) and access to books and journals including e-journal facilities.
- The program does not envisage initiating new UG courses in Biotechnology.
- Aim is to improve practical training in existing Science courses like Botany, Zoology, Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Electronics, Computer Science etc.
- Proposals should clearly highlight additional practicals (as per prescribed curriculum, which could not be done due to lack of equipments or consumables) proposed to be conducted in existing courses by all participating departments, student projects (interdisciplinary/interdepartmental), visits to be undertaken by students to National Laboratories and industries and faculty improvement programs, etc.
- The Colleges, supported under the Scheme can also apply for addition of new departments not included earlier.
- However such colleges should have completed one round of support i.e. 3 years under the scheme.
Nature of Financial Assistance:
One-time non-recurring grant of Rs. 10.00 lakhs per science department, recurring grant of Rs. 3.00 lakhs per science department per year for a period of three years, subject to satisfactory annual review, and Rs. 1.00 lakh, Rs. 2.00 lakhs and Rs. 3.00 lakhs subject to their departments for mentoring and monitoring per college and Rs. 1.00 lakh per year under contingency head will be provided. The scheme encourages the purchase of multiple copies of routine equipment required for science practicals in UG courses within a ceiling of Rs. 1 lakhs. For the purchase of equipment costing more than one lakh and up to three lakhs, prior approval of DBT is required.
How to Apply-
For details on the Scheme, related guidelines and proforma please visit DBT website: www.dbtindia.gov.in To apply online visit:
Duly signed and stamped hardcopy version of the proposal submitted via EproMIS may please be sent to:
Dr. Garima Gupta
Star College Scheme, HRD Division Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Block-3, 5th Floor, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110003 Email: email@example.com
Last Date for Apply– 05 June 2021
Last Date for Submission of Proposals: 15st June, 2021