Excellence Fellowship Program in Israel for International Researchers
Designation/Position- Excellence Fellowship Program
Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities invites application for Excellence Fellowship Program from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Council for Higher Education in Israel and the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities are pleased to announce a new excellence fellowship program for outstanding international postdoctoral researchers. The new program signifies Israel’s commitment to international scientific exchange and to the advancement of world-class research in Israeli universities. Through this initiative, Israel seeks to attract top young recent Ph.D. graduates to take on a postdoctoral position with leading scientists and
scholars in Israel on cutting-edge research in all fields of science, social science, and humanities.
Research/Job Area- Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and Humanities and the Social Sciences
Location- Israeli universities
I. The fellowship program is open to international candidates who have received a PhD from a recognized higher education institution outside of Israel less than 4 years from the time of application (not including parental or medical leave), or who will receive a PhD from a recognized higher education institution outside of Israel prior to the commencement of the fellowship.
II. Israeli citizens or residents, and candidates who commenced a postdoctoral position in Israel prior to September 1, 2020 may not apply.
III. Candidates are required to have been accepted to a post-doctoral position under the supervision of a faculty member at one of the following Israeli universities (in alphabetical order): Ariel University, Bar-Ilan University, Ben-Gurion University, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Open University of Israel, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Tel Aviv University, University of Haifa, Weizmann Institute of Science.
IV. Candidates are required to have the commitment of the university to provide the required matching for the fellowship: At least 25% in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, and at least 50% in the fields of STEM.
The fellowships will be awarded on the basis of academic excellence, without regard to religion, gender, age, or ethnicity.
A total of twenty fellowships will be provided to incoming post-doctorates conducting research in one of Israel’s universities;
Fifteen fellowships will be allocated in Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), and five fellowships will be allocated in the Humanities and the Social Sciences.
The fellowships will be awarded for two years for the amount of 160,000 NIS (~$47,000) per year.
Engagement in Excellence
Postdoctoral fellows in the program will have the opportunity to engage in innovative research in one of Israel’s globally recognized universities, to actively collaborate with their supervisors, and to cultivate their academic skills in a vibrant and challenging entrepreneurial environment.
Enrichment and Networking
Fellows will participate in various activities, such as day trips, seminars, workshops, and social events during the course of their fellowship. These types of activities will foster a welcoming dynamic, enabling participants to connect with one another, with Israeli academia, and with Israeli society.
How to Apply-
Candidates should apply directly to their host university, which will conduct an internal evaluation process and submit selected candidates to the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities.
Applications to the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities will only be accepted from the participating universities.
The following materials should be submitted in English in one PDF file per candidate:
- Application form.
- Application letter: max. 2 pages, font size 12, line spacing 1.5.
- Letter of recommendation from the host supervisor: max. 2 pages on formal letterhead.
- Commitment letter signed by the rector of the host university on formal letterhead indicating that the university will cover the required financial contribution to the fellowship. In addition, the university must commit to providing the fellow with the necessary research equipment, facilities and support to conduct the proposed research project.
- CV and list of publications (list only), including journal rankings and impact factors.
- Two letters of recommendation, up to 2 pages each.
- Short description of research, including preliminary results if such exist (2 pages).
- Candidates who have not yet finished their PhD are required to submit a confirmation from the relevant authority where the doctorate is being carried out that the candidate will fulfill all of his/her academic obligations (including thesis defense) prior to the commencement of the fellowship, and is expected to receive his/her doctoral degree no later than the end of the first year of the fellowship.
All materials should be submitted by the universities by February 1, 2021, to the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities. It is important for applicants to be directly in touch with their host university regarding internal application deadlines.
For Contact- For further information, please contact Batsheva Shor at email@example.com or by telephone to +972-2-5676207.