Postdoctoral Scientist at Pirbright Institute: The Pirbright Institute, a leading research institution in viral diseases, is inviting applications for the position of Postdoctoral Scientist. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in an international research team, contributing to the development of a bivalent vaccine for Nipah virus (NiV) in pigs, as well as a companion diagnostic test. This research aims to reduce the risk of NiV outbreaks and protect both animal and human populations. The position offers a unique opportunity to work on cutting-edge vaccine development and contribute to global health.
- 🏢 Organization Overview
- The Pirbright Institute conducts cutting-edge research on viral diseases, specializing in livestock viruses in the UK.
- Focus on host-pathogen interactions, immune system understanding, and responding to emerging threats.
- 🌍 International Research Project
- Institute is part of an international research team funded by Innovate UK SBRI for vaccine development against Nipah virus.
- Aims to create a bivalent vaccine protecting pigs and a companion diagnostic test for Nipah virus.
- 🤝 Collaboration and Responsibilities
- Collaboration between Pirbright Institute, UK, and German partners.
- Post-holder responsible for key studies on vaccine candidates and supporting activities for the development of diagnostic tests.
- 🧪 Key Studies and Research Focus
- Evaluation of immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccine candidates in pigs.
- Focus on recombinant live attenuated pseudorabies virus expressing NiV glycoproteins.
- Analysis of T cell and antibody responses, development of new techniques.
- 📊 Consortium Responsibilities
- Production and provision of materials for dual antigen DIVA lateral flow test.
- Communication of progress and data at consortium meetings.
- Dissemination of results through peer-reviewed manuscripts and scientific presentations.
- 🎓 Requirements and Offerings
- Essential: PhD in biosciences, research productivity, immunology experience, and excellent communication skills.
- Desirable: Vaccine R&D, large animal and virus experience, high biocontainment environment experience.
- Offers generous pension scheme, annual leave, gym, social club, lifestyle hub, and more.
- 📆 Contract Details
- Fixed-term contract until 30/09/2025, with a possibility of extension based on funding.
- Comprehensive screening process for successful applicants.
- 📧 Application Process
- Due to the high volume of applications, applicants are advised to contact email@example.com if there is no response within one month from the closing date.
Designation: Postdoctoral Scientist
Research Area: Vaccine Development for Nipah Virus
Location: The Pirbright Institute, Surrey, United Kingdom
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in a relevant branch of biosciences.
- Demonstrated research productivity relative to experience.
- Experience in immunology, including the analysis of T cell and antibody responses.
- Experience in recombinant protein expression and purification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Job Description: The post-holder will be responsible for evaluating the immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccine candidates in pigs. This includes rescue and in vitro characterization of recombinant live attenuated pseudorabies virus expressing NiV glycoproteins, preparation of vaccine stocks, coordination with animal services for immunizations and sample collection, and analysis of immune responses. The role involves working within a research consortium, contributing to the development of a dual antigen diagnostic test, and disseminating results through publications and scientific presentations.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should apply through the official application portal before the closing date. The application package should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact details for referees. Due to the comprehensive screening process, successful applicants will undergo reference and qualification checks, financial and security clearances.
Last Date for Apply: Monday, 19/02/2024
Published: Mon, 05/02/2024
Applications end: Mon, 19/02/2024
Contract length: FTC until 30/09/2025. Possibility of contract extending, subject to funding
Salary: £37,000 – £38,000
Please note that if you haven’t heard from us within one month from the closing date, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an update.