Designation/Position- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
JN Tata Endowment invites application for JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship for the Higher Education of Indians from eligible and interested candidates
About- The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians has been helping Indian students since 1892 with loan scholarships for higher studies. People consider it a matter of great pride to be called a ‘JN Tata Scholar’. There are now more than 5,365 JN Tata Scholars all over the world. JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education
- Candidates should be Indian nationals who are graduates of a recognized Indian University and have secured at least 60% in their last academic examination. If you do not have an undergraduate degree from a recognized University in India, you cannot apply.
- At the beginning of the second year of their overseas studies, candidates who are at the beginning of their overseas studies (Fall 2021– Spring 2022) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only if the minimum duration, of course, is 2 years. J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship are eligible to apply.
- Candidates in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they do not have the admission/offer letters when making the application from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2021-2022. However, they must update their application status with the Endowment once they secure admission.
- Candidates not older than 45 years as of 30th June 2021, with a good academic record and experience in their fields, specialization, or training, may also apply.
- Candidates going abroad for seminars, conferences, and undergraduate studies are not eligible for the J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
- Up to 45 years of age.
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship to Indian nationals at the beginning of the academic year for Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral/Research fellowships studies abroad, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender, or community.
- The amount to be awarded to each scholar by way of the loan scholarship is determined based on the norms laid down for the purpose and does not cover the full cost of studies.
- The amount awarded as the loan scholarship ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-.
- All selected scholars do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
- The selected scholars may also be recommended for a gift scholarship and partial travel assistance from our allied Trusts, as may be decided at the sole discretion of the concerned Trusts’ Trustees. A gift scholarship can be for a maximum amount of Rs.7,50,000/- and the travel grant can be a maximum of Rs.50,000/-.
How to Apply-
- Candidates are required to register for the J N Tata Endowment loan scholarship for the year Fall 2021 – Spring 2022 by using their email I.D. All subsequent correspondence will be only through this registered email I.D.
- After successful registration, candidates will be mailed a one-time password valid for 48 hours. Candidates should remember to change the password within 48 hours.
- The application process is completely online. Candidates may complete the application form in one or more visits but must remember to save the draft before exiting each time. There is a preview option before final submission after which candidates will not be able to make any changes.
- Candidates are advised not to leave any field blank: they may write “Not applicable” wherever necessary.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP): The most important point to note is that the Statement of Purpose is NOT a Personal Statement, which means that candidates must avoid biographical references. The SoP, specifically addressed to the “Trustees of the J N Tata Endowment”, an academic document and should ideally address the following questions, while written in candidates’ own words, between 500 and 800. You may follow your own format but please avoid biographical references. What has to come through is why you have made a certain academic choice.
- What is your course and why you have chosen it?
- Are you continuing your undergraduate stream or moving to a new stream? If new, what explains the change?
- What are your expectations from the postgraduate program?
- Do you have any experience in the chosen field? How?
- If you already have the experience, what additional skills do you hope to gain?
- How does your program fulfill your needs and interests?
- What are your career plans? Candidates guilty of plagiarism will be found out and summarily disqualified.
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR): Candidates have to arrange only one LoR, specifically addressed to “The Trustees of the J. N. Tata Endowment” from:-
- a Professor of the College or University OR
- the Employer, in case the applicant is/was working.
- Instructions for candidates:-
- Candidates must mention the Recommender’’’’s name, designation and department, name of the college/university/organization, city, contact numbers, and their official email ID.
- Once the application is validated/submitted, a system-generated email goes to your recommender’s email ID to submit the LoR online.
- The LoR will be accepted for up to one week time period from the date of submission of the application form. Please note that the last date for submission is Monday, 15th March 2021.
- Please be aware that when you submit your online application, we will consider it as complete only when we receive your LoR from your recommender.
- Do not wait till the last date for submission. If your application is complete before the deadline, please submit it.
- Instructions for Recommender:-
- Recommenders will receive the system generated email, which will have the link and login credential (Login ID & Password) to submit the recommendation online.
- Recommenders are requested to check the Inbox/spam email/Junk email box for the email.
- The recommender’s email ID is the login ID. They will be sent a password, which they may change through change password.
- After the login, Recommenders can view the list of candidates for LoR by clicking on “Select Candidate”.
- The recommender can click on an individual candidate’s name to view the page for LoR.
- Recommenders are requested to write/paste the LoR in the space provided. It should be maximum of 800 words. There is no facility to upload a document.
- Recommenders may mention the candidate’s academic achievements and potential, projects if any undertaken under their supervision or otherwise, any research paper co-author with the candidate, personality and motivation, professional achievements (for experienced candidates), and contribution to the community.
- Recommenders may complete the LoR in one or more visits but must remember to save the draft before exiting each time. There is a preview option before final submission after which recommenders will not be able to make any changes. Hence, recommenders are requested to ensure that the LoR is complete before clicking on the “Submit” button.