Designation/Position- Post-doctoral Fellowship
University of São Paulo, Brazil invites application for Post-doctoral Fellowship position from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Laboratory of Genomics and Immunobiology is located at the University of São Paulo at Ribeirão Preto College of Nursing, Ribeirão Preto, Brazil. We have a strong collaboration with the Department of Biochemistry and Immunology at Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine. Both basic and translational research is performed in a collaborative environment.
This opportunity is open to candidates of any nationalities. The selected candidate will receive a FAPESP’s Post-Doctoral fellowship in the amount of BRL 7.373,10 monthly and a research contingency fund, equivalent to 15% of the annual value of the fellowship which should be spent in items directly related to the research activity.
Research/Job Area- Life sciences, preferably immunology or cell or molecular biology
Project title- Development of a recombinant multicomponent chimeric vaccine based in protein epitopes from Rhipicephalus microplus ticks
Location- University of São Paulo, Brazil
Eligibility/Qualification– The successful candidate will have a PhD in life sciences, preferably immunology or cell or molecular biology, with experience with molecular immunology and cell culture. Experience with handling animal models is desirable. The training environment is collaborative and includes both PhD and MD scientists, with participation in joint lab meetings and work in progress seminars. The candidate must have a strong track record of innovative and independent research in their previous training. Knowledge of at least basic Portuguese is desirable but not required.
Job/Position Description- The Laboratory of Genomics and Immunobiology – LGBIO of the University of São Paulo in Ribeirao Preto city, São Paulo State, Brazil has one opening for a postdoctoral fellow with funding of São Paulo Research Foundation – FAPESP, requiring experience with molecular biology techniques, recombinant protein production, vaccinology, immunology and parasitology. Candidates must be proactive, be fluent in English and have facility to work in team. The aim of the project is to develop an anti-tick vaccine for bovines and dogs. The group already has several patented antigens.
Activities of the awardee
1. Enlarge the colony of Rhipicephalus sanguineus ticks and Rhipicephalus microplus with infestations in rabbits and bovines and maintenance of unfed ticks;
2. Optimization and large scale production of recombinant proteins in E. coli, P. pastoris and new expression systems;
3. Preparation of immunogens and inoculation of animals (cattle, dogs and chickens) with recombinant proteins to evaluate vaccine efficacy and production of hyperimmune sera; 4. Perform artificial infestation of animals with ticks to evaluate the protection generated by the inoculation of recombinant proteins;
5. Evaluate the biological parameters and reproductive of ticks during the infestation in animals;
6. Collection and processing of blood, spleen and lymph nodes of tick-infested animals, as well as establishment of primary cell culture and in vitro stimulation lineages, aiming the analysis of humoral and cellular immunity stimulated by vaccination;
7. Perform experiments for determination of antigen-specific antibodies and cytokines by ELISA and flow cytometry;
8. Design and execution of activities mapping of B cell epitopes through peptide microarray, phage display and complementary techniques;
9. Implementation of new generation genetic sequencing techniques for characterization of bovine MHC alleles;
10. Design and execution of mapping activities of CD4 T cell epitopes through the characterization of bovine immuno-peptidomes by high resolution mass spectrometry;
11. Assist in the supervision of students and technicians, aid lab organization and the purchase of reagents and equipment’s;
12. Writing of reports and scientific articles.
The development of research activities will require frequent trips and stays in Viçosa, Minas Gerais State, for experiments of immunization in cattle, collection of samples, isolation, culture and freezing of cells.
The fellowship has duration of 12 up to 24 months; it is expected to start in 1st December, 2018. Mouse, rabbit, bovine and dog models will be utilized.
How to Apply- Interested candidates should send curriculum, three names to ask a recommendation letter, a letter explaining how his/her experience fits the project and a concise description of a research project under the fellowship to the Principal Investigator Prof. Beatriz Ferreira via email [email protected]. The deadline for applications is 4th of November. Final decision will be at 8th of November, 2018.
Last Date for Apply– 4 November 2018