Postdoctoral Scientist Position – 2019 in Max Planck Institute, Germany
Designation/Position-Postdoctoral Scientist Position – 2019
Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M), Germany invites application for
Postdoctoral Scientist Postdoctoral Scientist Position – 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M) is a multidisciplinary centre for cli-mate research located in Hamburg, Germany. It has an internationally recognised reputation in climate modelling. The MPI-M is located in the heart of one of Europe’s most liveable and vibrant cities. It provides a highly international and interdisciplinary environment for conducting scientific research as well as access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities.
Within the DFG project GWING (Gravity Wave Interactions in the Global Atmos-phere) part of the MS-GWaves (Multi-Scale Dynamics of Gravity Waves) Research Unit, we are looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist Position – 2019 position.
Research/Job Area- Applied mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or computational science
Location- Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI-M), Germany
- A PhD in applied mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or compu-tational science is required for this position.
- Previous experience in the modelling of atmospheric dynamics is of advantage.
- The applicant should additionally have expertise in scientific computing, including programming skills (Fortran and shell scripting on Unix-type platforms).
Job/Position Description- The successful candidate will have considerable latitude in defining their own re-search questions, but an ability to articulate new ideas and leverage new opportuni-ties (global cloud resolving models, advances in measurement science, large-ensembles, long, or creatively configured runs with traditional climate models) is par-amount.
- The position is offered for up to 2 years starting preferentially in May 2019.
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions (TVoeD E14), including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment, in-cluding upgrades and duration, follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
- Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their qualifications and ability to fulfill the re-sponsibilities as outlined for this project.
How to Apply-
1. A cover letter including a short statement presenting your research outlook
2. A detailed curriculum vitae incl. a list of publications
3. The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two referees
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
For further information, please contact Dr Hauke Schmidt (hauke.schmidt(at)mpimet.mpg.de).
Do not forward your application to this email address; the applications need to be submitted through the online application system
Last Date for Apply– Applications received prior to 15 February 2019 will receive full consideration, but the positions will remain open until filled. The starting date is negotiable, but can be immediately.