Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position in Macquarie University, Australia
Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Macquarie University, Australia invites application for Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position Position from eligible and interested candidates
About- The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences is ambitiously pushing the boundaries of progressive thinking and challenging what’s possible to solve some of the big issues of our time, both nationally and on a global scale. The Faculty forms part of MQ Health, an integrated academic health sciences enterprise which incorporates Macquarie University Hospital and primary and speciality clinics. We have active research programs in neurosciences (especially motor neuron disease, neurological rehabilitation and the clinical neuroscience of pain), cancer medicine, and vascular science, amongst others. Our Faculty hosts the Australian Institute of Health Innovation, an internationally acclaimed powerhouse researching health systems, e-health and patient safety. Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The Department of Biomedical Sciences is committed to improving patient health through world-class fundamental and translational medical research, within the Department is the Dementia Research Centre which will provide an environment for innovative, interdisciplinary research for dementia, using and developing state-of-the-art technologies to advance basic discoveries towards translation into clinical treatments. The Dementia Research Centre is committed to providing a unique and supportive mentoring program to allow the growth of future leaders for dementia research.
Research/Job Area- Molecular Biology or a closely related discipline
Location- Macquarie University, Australia
Eligibility/Qualification– You will have a PhD in Molecular Biology or a closely related discipline and experience in standard molecular biology methods including bacterial culture, cell culture, Western Blots and PCR. You will bring to the role a basic understanding of peptide chemistry and associated synthetic techniques and an ability to prepare progress reports, manuscripts and research presentations. You will have strong communication and time management skills with an ability to prioritise deadlines and adapt to meet workload demands.
To be considered for this position, please apply online and attach your resume and a separate cover letter that outlines how you meet to the selection criteria below:
- PhD in Molecular Biology or a closely related discipline.
- Experience in the implementation of phage display technology
- Experience in molecular biology techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills including MS Office, internet-based research and database management and research software (such as EndNote).
- Excellent organisational skills with a demonstrated capacity to manage time effectively.
- Experience with solid phase peptide synthesis (desirable)
- Experience with decellularisation procedures (desirable)
- Experience in 3D cell culture (desirable)
Job/Position Description- The Dementia Research Centre within the Department of Biomedical Sciences is seeking a suitably qualified Postdoctoral Research Fellow with a proven track record in peptide phage display technology to provide research support for the NHMRC funded project “Self-assembled hydrogels for neurodegeneration”. The primary role of the position is to establish a pipeline for identifying peptides which strongly bind to neuronal extracellular matrix proteins using phage display technology. The role will be responsible for:
- Performing phage display against well-known neuronal extracellular matrix proteins and identify strongly binding peptide sequences.
- Synthetic production of peptide fragments and subsequent conjugation of these fragments to hydrogel scaffolds developed in Dr Martin’s lab
- Evaluation of scaffolds to support the long-term culturing of neurons in a 3D in vitro setting.
This position is ideal for a candidate looking to generate high-impact results to be used immediately in competitive fellowship applications.
- Salary Package: From $90,188 – $96,655 (Level A) p.a., plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Full-time fixed term position for 12 months
How to Apply-
For Contact- Dr Adam Martin, Dementia Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, email@example.com
Last Date for Apply– 19 March 2019 at 11:55pm AEST