Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2019 in University of Oslo, Norway
Designation/Position- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2019
University of Oslo, Norway invites application for Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2019 from eligible and interested candidates
About- The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society. Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2019
The position is connected to the project “Exploring Millimeter Indicators of Solar-Stellar Activity“ (EMISSA), which is funded by the Research Council of Norway (2019 – 2023). The aim of the EMISSA project is to use the Atacama Large Millimeter/sub-millimeter Array (ALMA) for a re-evaluation of the activity of stars by means of a comparative solar-stellar study with the Sun serving as a fundamental reference. Three-dimensional atmosphere models for different types of stars including the Sun will be used to prepare and interpret new observations of the Sun and a selected sample of other stars with ALMA and other observatories. This approach promises a new view on the activity of the Sun and other stars and the physical processes causing it.
Research/Job Area- Astronomy/astrophysics, Physics
Location- University of Oslo, Norway
The candidate must have a PhD or other corresponding education equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in astronomy/astrophysics or a related discipline.
Research group seek a candidate with a background preferably in solar or stellar physics, who has experience with numerical simulations and/or the analysis of observations incl.
The handling of large data sets. Experience in radiative transfer and (magneto)-hydrodynamic simulations is welcomed.
Experience with radio astronomy and/or interferometry is considered an asset.
The candidate will have to program in IDL/Python. Programming skills are therefore an essential requirement.
A good command of written and spoken English is required.
The main purpose of post-doctoral research fellowships is to qualify researchers for work in top academic positions within their disciplines.
Job/Position Description- The solar group /RoCS is led by Mats Carlsson and has an internationally leading competence in radiative transfer and radiative hydrodynamics. Observationally, the group has access to the Swedish 1-meter Solar Telescope on La Palma, to ALMA, to several space based satellites such as NASA’s IRIS and SDO, JAXA’s Hinode and in the near future ESA’s Solar Orbiter. The group utilizes strongly local and national High-Performance Computing facilities. With the RoCS centre of excellence, the solar group is expanding significantly.
The successful candidate would work on numerical simulations of stellar atmospheres (incl. the Sun) with particular emphasis on radiative transfer calculations but also on the processing and analysis of observations with ALMA in co-operation with the Solar ALMA team at RoCS and with international collaborators.
- salary NOK 515 200 – 597 400 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to Apply-
The application must include
- Application letter
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates and transcript of records
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number). The references will be contacted if necessary. Letters of recommendation are therefore not required for the initial application.
Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
The application with attachments must be delivered in electronic recruiting system.
Associate professor Sven Wedemeyer, email firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical questions regarding the application system, please contact HR Adviser Elin Thoresen, +47 22 85 71 96, e-mail: email@example.com
Last Date for Apply– 15 April 2019