Designation/Position- Research Scientist / Postdoctoral Fellow Position
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata invites application for Research Scientist / Postdoctoral Fellow Position from candidates having PhD in Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Sciences, Physics, or Computer Sciences.
About- A Research Scientist/Postdoctoral Fellow position is available at the Center of Excellence in Space Sciences India (CESSI) – a multi-institutional Center of Excellence established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. CESSI is located at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Kolkata and involves collaborating faculty from IISER Kolkata, IISER Pune, Indian Space Research Organization Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Udaipur Solar Observatory (Physical Research Laboratory), Inter-University Center of Astronomy and Astrophysics and IIT Indore. The primary aims of CESSI is to explore fundamental aspects of solar magnetic activity and develop the understanding necessary for space weather forecasting, gravitational wave astronomy and major initiatives such as the Aditya-L1 space mission (India’s first space observatory to study the Sun) and the LIGO-India project. Science Education
Research/Job Area- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Sciences, Physics, or Computer Sciences
Location- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata
Eligibility/Qualification- Research group is seeking a candidate whose research skills are directly relevant for space weather studies, with demonstrated experience in satellite data analysis and computational modelling of solar phenomena that directly impact our space environment. The candidate is expected to help transition research understanding developed at CESSI to operational space weather forecasting models and algorithms.
The candidate must have a PhD (within the last 5 years) in Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space
Sciences, Physics, or Computer Sciences, with at least 55% aggregate marks in their BSc and MSc or equivalent degree examination. For a Research Scientist position, the candidate must have at least two years experience at the Postdoctoral level. If a candidate with relevant expertise is found who has less than two years of experience at the Postdoctoral level, she/he would be appointed as a Postdoctoral Fellow.
Emoluments and Tenure- Fellowship amount will be as per CESSI-IISER Kolkata norms with salary ranging from INR 40,000—INR 50,000 based on experience and position offered. Additional housing rent allowance may be provided based on need. A contingency allowance is available for
conference travel and other academic expenses. The position is initially for a period until 31
March, 2019 and extendable on annually based on suitable performance.
How to Apply-
- You will need a functional (personal) email-id for your application.
- Please have your picture (soft copy, preferably in JPG format) ready.
- Application package: A CV in PDF or DOC format with at least the following information:
1) complete contact details,
2) embedded photograph,
3) date of birth,
4) educational qualification and performance (including year of degree, institution) starting with your BSc or equivalent examinations until your highest degree, 5) complete list of publications,
6) brief summary of your thesis research (within 1000 words),
7) a brief statement of research interests and future research plans demonstrating relevance for the job description (within 1000 words),
8) list of two professional referees and their complete contact details including
9) list of technical or professional skills,
10) any other information that you may like to bring to our attention. You must send in a complete application as a single (preferably PDF) file. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Email your application file (named surname_firstname.pdf or .doc) with the subject
“CESSI Research Scientist: SURNAME FIRSTNAME” and copy to both these email
- Candidates meeting the relevant experience criteria will be short-listed by a committee and recommendations may be sought in support of the application. A final selection will be made only if suitable candidates are found and will remain open until an appointment is made.