Designation/Position- MITACS Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship
MITACS, Canada invites application for MITACS Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship from eligible and interested candidates
About- MITACS is a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 20 years. Working with 70 universities, 6,000 companies, and both federal and provincial governments, we build partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada. MITACS Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship
Research/Job Area- Any discipline
Postdoctoral fellows may apply for MITACS Elevate fellowship if their graduation date from a Ph.D. program is no more than 5 years before the proposed start date of the research project. Fellows who have had a break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave may be considered as exceptions and must be approved in advance of proposal submission. If this situation applies to you and/or you have any questions, please contact Mitacs at elevate(at)mitacs.ca.
Successful candidates must have fulfilled all degree requirements (e.g., successful defense, final deposit, and signoff of the dissertation) for their Ph.D. at the time of project start date, which can be no later than September 8, 2021.
All fellows who successfully enter into the Elevate program are responsible for ensuring that they meet the PDF eligibility criteria at their host institution and that they will hold a PDF status by the start date of their fellowship (no later than September 8, 2021) and for the two-year duration of the Elevate program.
- Fellows must not have been employed for more than six months in an R&D position outside the university after receipt of their doctoral degree; and
- Fellows must not have received an offer of employment from the partner organization except an offer of this fellowship or short-term employment of up to six months while awaiting a decision on the fellowship.
- If the application is not recommended for an award, the candidate may not be eligible to apply again once they have accumulated more than six months of industrial or partner organization work. Therefore, it is recommended that candidates accept a temporary contract only if necessary and that the period of the contract be kept as short as possible.
- Fellows who have held a MITACS Accelerate award as a Masters or Ph.D. student are eligible to apply. Applicants may also apply if they have been approved for no more than 3 internship units of Accelerate funding (1-year equivalent) support at the postdoctoral level to be completed before the start of the Elevate fellowship. Postdoctoral fellows who have already held a Mitacs Elevate award cannot apply again to Elevate or apply afterward to Accelerate.
Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with a customized research management training component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- An exclusive research management curriculum for postdoctoral fellows in any discipline
- A minimum one-year research project (normally two years in duration) with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
- A Partner Organization Business Case developed to outline project objectives, risks, and stakeholder success criteria and ensure project value.
Elevate fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
Over the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows divide their time between their partner organization project and university-based research with their faculty supervisor.
Elevate fellows receive:
- $55,000 minimum annual stipend/salary (for fellowships awarded after April 1, 2018)
- Training curriculum valued at $7,500 per year
- Submission assistance, including application feedback, from Mitacs representatives
- Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission
How to Apply-
If you are uncertain, please consult the Mitacs Conflict of Interest Policy or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete your application package
Please submit the following documents as separate documents (ZIP files are recommended) by email to email@example.com by February 10, 2021, at 5 p.m. PT. Late submissions will not be accepted.
All applicants will receive a confirmation email from Mitacs when a complete application has been received.
- Please download and complete the application form*
- A memorandum (Section 7 – MEMORANDUM) signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF
- Applicant’s CV
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV
- Three letters of support on letterhead with signature required:
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor**
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise**
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization that includes the amount of the financial contribution
- Any supplementary documents as applicable